CPU..overheating??

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Mo, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Hi,

    I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
    GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat sink
    on the machine.

    I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board and
    read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
    and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was flashing
    warnings.

    I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
    shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as 63C.
    The ambient was 22C.

    Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I certainly
    don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.

    TIA-

    Mo

    Mo, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Mo

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    you need to reseat the HSF...

    remove the heatsinkfan, and remove any schmootz thats already there. Clean
    it well.
    Re-apply a very thin layer of schmootz, and make sure that he HSF is
    securely mounted.

    Your temps should be in the high 30's, low 40's. 69 isnt dangerous, but it
    is much higher than normal.

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Thanks Nutcracker..

    What type of 'smootz' is best .. as I remember, the AMD had a 'tape' ..
    assuming the guys who reinstalled my m/board just moved it in one piece, it
    still has.

    I let the guys in the shop put the replacement m/board together so that the
    old m/board went back for warranty!

    Is it worth considering a new cooler assembly for the CPU?

    Mo, Apr 24, 2004
  4. Mo

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    New HSF... depends on what you ahve, and what you intend to do with the
    system.

    I have used a couple of different kinds of schmootz (gunk, grease, paste..
    its all the same) and I have not found a real difference between any of
    them. Beit the $12 Arctic Silver 3 I have, or the crap that comes with a new
    CPU (not the tape on the bottom of the HSF.. take that crapola off), or a
    tube of "thermal transfer compond" i got from radio shack in a pinch.

    It all works as long as you apply it well. And by that i mean take your time
    and dont be sloppy. a VERY thin layer is all thats needed. I have found that
    an old credit card, or bank card, or one of those fake cards they send out
    with junkmail works great. Bear in mind, that just because a HSF comes with
    a generous amount of the junk, you are not supposed to try to use it all in
    one application. One of those little packets, or tubes should last you quite
    a while.

    There are lots of great pic's and tutorials on the subject. That was where i
    learned about how to do it a long time ago.

    Cheers,

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Apr 24, 2004
  5. Mo

    Ron Guest

    You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your reading.

    Ron, Apr 24, 2004
  6. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have problems
    with the new tech stuff!

    I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows the
    CPU
    temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
    Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C. Machine is
    idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.

    Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am using
    the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.

    You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your reading.

    Mo, Apr 24, 2004
  7. Mo

    RonK Guest

    Hey Mo,
    Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought that
    there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with my
    neighbours machine.
    In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.

    RonK, Apr 24, 2004
  8. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Hi Guys,

    Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b 21C..
    CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..

    Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
    email/NG's and chatting ICQ..

    The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.

    Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to see
    the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.

    For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.

    Mo, Apr 25, 2004
  9. Mo

    RonK Guest

    Are you running XP ?

    RonK, Apr 25, 2004
  10. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...

    Are you running XP ?

    Mo, Apr 25, 2004
  11. Mo

    RonK Guest

    When you use Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Del) the System Idle Process should be
    around 97 to 99%. What is yours showing ?

    RonK, Apr 25, 2004
  12. Mo

    John Guest

    Hi Mo,

    I am in Melbourne and a similar setup.

    My 2600+ CPU runs a minimum of about 16 degrees above case temperature,
    rising to about 21 degrees when working hard. That is with a standard AMD
    cooler. The goal is to keep the case temperature as close to ambient as
    possible. Some cases tend to accumulate a pool of stagnant warm air around
    the CPU. Make sure that the various cables do not block airflow. Use round
    drive cables if possible. Extra case fans can help but you may have to play
    around a bit to find the best combination of blow and suck and the most
    effective location. I have a heap of extra hardware in my boxes which
    produce more hot air and I was not happy with summer temperatures. I have
    work to do someday soon.
    John

    John, Apr 25, 2004
  13. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Hi RonK..

    When I use Ctrl/Alt/Del I get Windows Task Manager up and the only reference
    to CPU usage is "performance" .. as I said earlier it shows 0%.. unless I
    activate something like dragging the panel across the screen.. other than
    that I'm lost!

    Mo, Apr 25, 2004
  14. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Hi John,

    Thanks for the info..as you can see I'm getting a reading that is 25C higher
    than you are quoting.

    After running the machine for about 4 hours today I'm getting readings of
    59C and 33C on the other temps.

    I am using Aida32 for the readings as they corresponded to the bios CPU
    reading I checked after initial boot..

    Mo, Apr 25, 2004
  15. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Sorry.. just found System Idle Process.. reading 98%.. looking in the wrong
    place.. ;-(

    Mo, Apr 25, 2004
  16. Mo

    RonK Guest

    At least we know there is nothing using the cpu to create the excess heat.

    Try using the computer with the case cover off and see what the temps run
    at.
    Also if you have a small desk fan you can have it blow air into the open
    case. If this drops the temps a lot then you know you need more case fans .

    RonK, Apr 25, 2004
  17. Mo

    Mo Guest

    I have checked the PSU fan (a dual fan 450W unit I had to go to to run the
    machine) and an 80mm fan on the rear.. all are blowing the same direction
    and the airways are as clear as they can be. There is air access through the
    front of the cabinet. I also have two HDD drawers with minifans fitted.

    I am going out for a couple of hours or so shortly so will leave the machine
    running with the side cover off.

    It seems that the supplied AMD cooling isn't sufficient. Am wondering if the
    fins on the heatsink might be clogged, there are very fine air gaps.

    I'm thinking of a replacement when the shops open on Tuesday.

    Mo, Apr 25, 2004
  18. Mo

    John Guest

    Hi Mo,

    At the moment I am getting 36 and 54 degrees. As I said, I have some case
    work to do. I had a mobo failure at Christmas time, so a New Mobo and CPU
    and RAM were fitted. The old one ran much cooler, case temps about 5 degrees
    above ambient, in fact I took one fan out of the case as it made no real
    difference. I need to open the box, make sure I have not blocked any airflow
    and probably replace that fan before summer.
    John.

    | Hi John,
    |
    | Thanks for the info..as you can see I'm getting a reading that is 25C
    higher
    | than you are quoting.
    |
    | After running the machine for about 4 hours today I'm getting readings of
    | 59C and 33C on the other temps.
    |
    | I am using Aida32 for the readings as they corresponded to the bios CPU
    | reading I checked after initial boot..
    |

    | | Hi Mo,
    |
    | I am in Melbourne and a similar setup.
    |
    | My 2600+ CPU runs a minimum of about 16 degrees above case temperature,
    | rising to about 21 degrees when working hard. That is with a standard AMD
    | cooler. The goal is to keep the case temperature as close to ambient as
    | possible. Some cases tend to accumulate a pool of stagnant warm air around
    | the CPU. Make sure that the various cables do not block airflow. Use round
    | drive cables if possible. Extra case fans can help but you may have to
    play
    | around a bit to find the best combination of blow and suck and the most
    | effective location. I have a heap of extra hardware in my boxes which
    | produce more hot air and I was not happy with summer temperatures. I have
    | work to do someday soon.
    | John
    |
    | | | Hi Guys,
    | |
    | | Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b
    21C..
    | | CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..
    | |
    | | Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
    | | email/NG's and chatting ICQ..
    | |
    | | The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.
    | |
    | | Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to
    see
    | | the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.
    | |
    | | For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.
    | |
    | |
    | | Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought
    that
    | | there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with
    | my
    | | neighbours machine.
    | | In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.
    | |
    | |
    | | > with the new tech stuff!
    | | >
    | | > I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows
    | the
    | | > CPU
    | | > temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
    | | > Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C.
    | Machine
    | | > is
    | | > idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.
    | | >
    | | > Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am
    | using
    | | > the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.

    | m/board
    | EasyTune4

    | certainly

    | |
    | |
    | |

    John, Apr 25, 2004
  19. Mo

    John Guest

    Hi Mo,
    See my other post re CPU fans. Expect to run around 20 degrees plus and
    minus above case temps. I think case temp is your problem. Maybe a PS unit
    with a fan in the bottom to suck hot air out of the pocket around your CPU
    or a second case fan to get extra cool air movement in that area. Some cases
    have a fan in the side above the CPU blowing in.
    John

    John, Apr 25, 2004
  20. Seems a little on the high side, but it is the AMD supplied heatsink and
    fan, so it does the minimum it needs to. Every AMD heatsink/fan I've used or
    seen gives an average CPU temp of around
    54-58º

    I'd suggest investing in a good heatsink/fan combo. I can recommend the
    Coolermaster Dual Heat pipe with low speed fan, or the Coolermaster Aero7
    and Jet 7.... I've had all 3 and the heatpipe gave an average of 48º on a
    2800 but it's very quiet with a low speed fan. The Aero 7 and Jet 7 give an
    average of 40º on low speed, and 44º on high speed.

    Heckler ²°°³, Apr 25, 2004