CPU..overheating??

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Mo, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Thanks for the input Heckler,

    4:04am here, the temp is now around 57C.. was steady around that yesterday
    with a side panel off or on.

    I have at times wondered how AMD managed to use the same cooler for hot and
    cold climates! I surfed checking replacement fans a couple of evenings ago..
    saw those you mentioned and am heading for the shop who did the board swap
    on Tuesday.. ...ANZAC holiday here on Monday! Got to curse them for not
    replacing heat sink tape damaged when they changed the board .. and they
    have a stock of fan/coolers.

    Seems a little on the high side, but it is the AMD supplied heatsink and
    fan, so it does the minimum it needs to. Every AMD heatsink/fan I've used or
    seen gives an average CPU temp of around
    54-58º

    I'd suggest investing in a good heatsink/fan combo. I can recommend the
    Coolermaster Dual Heat pipe with low speed fan, or the Coolermaster Aero7
    and Jet 7.... I've had all 3 and the heatpipe gave an average of 48º on a
    2800 but it's very quiet with a low speed fan. The Aero 7 and Jet 7 give an
    average of 40º on low speed, and 44º on high speed.

    Mo, Apr 25, 2004

  2. Mo

    Garry Bryant Guest

    My idle 2500+ temperatures on the GA-7N400-L are:

    System: 32C
    CPU: 59-60C

    Using a Zalman Flower CNPS6000-AlCu with its fan in silent mode, and
    current ambient temp being 23C. The cooler has been reinstalled with a
    different thermal compound with no difference.

    The problem is not your cooler or mine. It is the 7N400-L's lack of a
    functioning S2K bus disconnect. See my post of 12 April titled "High
    idle CPU temperature -- no bus disconnect?" I reported the issue via
    Gigabyte's support the following day and have still not received a
    reply.

    Gazza

    Garry Bryant, Apr 25, 2004

  3. Mo

    Stuart Cowan Guest

    GA-7N400 PRO2

    XP 2500+

    CPU Temp 60-64 degrees C

    Also tried Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 which is sitting at 58 degrees C

    Tried three different heatsinks and fans to with no success.

    Anyone else having temperature problems with this board?

    Never had temps like this on my old Epox 8kta3+ board with the Athlon 1.2.

    Stuart Cowan, Apr 26, 2004
  4. Mo

    Lee Shipman Guest

    Don't know if this will help, but I had a similar situation with the
    GA-7VT600-L-A. Couldn't get the temperature readings to come down at all,
    but never experienced any problems either.

    I installed the <vcool> CPU cooler software and one of its features is a CPU
    & ambient temperature icon on the taskbar. The CPU temperature reads more
    "normal", like 41 degrees C.

    I've been running the 7VT600 for a month and have had no problems suggesting
    high CPU temperature. Makes me wonder about the accuracy of the built-in
    temperature monitor in the BIOS setup.

    Lee

    Lee Shipman, Apr 26, 2004
  5. Mo

    Mo Guest

    I have to query that accuracy when I see a board/aux temps 10+ degrees over
    ambient when I check seconds after start up. I mentioned/questioned that in
    one of my earl posts.

    Unfortunately I can't remember what readings I got on my old GA-7N400-L1
    board. Although that board had a faulty bios from the day I set it up.

    Mo, Apr 27, 2004
  6. Mo

    Garry Bryant Guest

    The 50-60C idle CPU temp has nothing to do with the accuracy of the
    sensors (not to say that motherboard sensors are particularly
    accurate, but that applies across the board). Again, it's the lack of
    bus disconnect feature that allows your Athlon to run hot on the
    GA-7N400-L.

    Incidentally, I finally received a reply from Gigabyte today:

    "About the issue you mentioned in your earlier mail, in fact, we found
    bus disconnect feature, the system/CPU will not work properly. Thus,
    our engineer design a special feature is called "CPU Thermal
    throttling" and it is very similar to BUS DISCONNECT feature. When
    CPU"s temperature is higher than the value of "CPU Warning Tempture"
    setting, the option will decrease the CPU speed as the percentage you
    set in BIOS automatically."

    This doesn't even sound like a replacement for bus disconnect, but I
    thought I'd fiddle with it anyway. To begin with, the "CPU Thermal
    Throttling" setting doesn't even appear in the BIOS settings, but
    after searching the web I found that I could expose this and other
    "hidden" settings using CTRL-F1 from the main BIOS screen.

    Setting the "CPU Warning Tempture" temp to 60C resulted in instant
    beeping after reboot, since my idle CPU temp is currently over 60. The
    "CPU Thermal Throttling" did nothing to reduce this. But setting CPU
    Warning Tempture to 70C did expose the feature's usefulness. When I
    ran burnk7 after a reboot, the CPU hit 70C then repeatedly bounced
    between 68-71C. Normally, burnk7 would push it to 80C with my
    heatsink's fan in silent mode.

    But it's not even "throttling" the CPU in terms of voltage or clock
    speed. What it seems to be doing is simply dropping cycles to reduce
    the load burnk7 was putting on the CPU.

    And unlike bus disconnect, the feature does absolutely nothing about
    the unecessarily wasted power/heat when the CPU is idle or only
    partially utilised.

    Lee mentioned Vcool. I've had success with Durons on older, VIA-based
    motherboards, but the effect of the Vcool (beta or alpha, with "cool
    bit" selected or not) on the nForce2-nased 7N400-L with my 2500+ is
    negligible.

    There is a list of boards that do support bus disconnect in the BIOS
    (no need for Vcool) at
    http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=9326

    Gazza

    Garry Bryant, Apr 27, 2004