    with a faster chip? I'm not planning on overclocking the CPU but I assume
    that the 6600GT will compensate for the CPU anyway. I will also be using an
    Intel 865PERL mobo and a gig of dual channel PC3200 RAM. TIA

    Damon, Feb 9, 2005

  2. Damon

    Ed Light Guest

    The Athlon 64's with an nvidia motherboard will give the best game
    performance for an nvidia card.

    The Intels will give the best video rendering performance -- where you've
    composed a digital movie and it is exported to a file or DVD.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Feb 9, 2005

  3. Damon

    dino Guest

    how can a video card compensate for the CPU when the data is travelling thru
    the CPU to the videocard? The machine will only be as fast as you make it.
    You should still have good graphics but there is a possibility the CPU will
    be a bottleneck.

    dino, Feb 9, 2005
  4. Both are on the good side of average so it should give results on the good
    side of average

    Iain Dingsdale, Feb 9, 2005
  5. Damon

    Anthony Guest

    best bang for the buck AMD 64.

    Anthony, Feb 9, 2005
  6. Damon

    First of One Guest

    A faster Northwood will give you better game performance. Something in the
    2.8-3 GHz range would be a good match for the card. The video card will not
    "compensate" for the CPU; they perform different tasks in a game.

    AMD64 is a better value in games. However, the P4's Hyperthreading makes a
    very noticeable difference when multitasking, even for office work.
    Unfortunately, even hardcore gamers spend more time on the desktop than in
    games, so it's something to consider.

    First of One, Feb 9, 2005
  7. Damon

    Damon Guest

    "Compensate" is probably not the best term for my question. It just seems
    that newer games can place more of the workload on a graphics card than
    older games could, so I suspect that going to a 3 GHz P4 would not result in
    a 25% frame rate boost even though it's 25% faster (at least for the latest
    games). OTOH 2.4 GHz seems fast enough for older games anyway. Correct?

    Damon, Feb 9, 2005
  8. Damon

    Damon Guest

    In cases where the video card isn't the bottleneck, that is.

    Damon, Feb 9, 2005