    there. I have never seen it lower even though the ambient temp is
    well below that. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

    Dave

    David D., Aug 28, 2003

  2. David D.

    The Marshal Guest

    If you have a retail P4 the HS&fan that comes with it has a temp monitor
    built in and its best to disable the smart fan option in bios as the fan
    regulates its own temp speed.

    The Marshal, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Depends on what CPU you have. I have a 3.2Ghz, and it's never below 41
    although it also never goes beyond 57c fully loaded at constant 100%
    utilization.

    Timothy Drouillard, Aug 28, 2003
  4. David D.

    David D. Guest

    I think you're right about the temperature sensor being built-in, but
    there is no connection between the chip and the fan, thus no way for
    the chip to control the fan speed. So this doesn't make sense to me.

    Dave

    David D., Aug 29, 2003
  5. David D.

    David D. Guest

    I don't think it's a case of my 2.6Ghz running hotter than other chips
    since 40C is always the temperature that it starts at, even after a
    completely cold start...and it sounds like your 3.2 does about the
    same. It seems that the chip always reports 40C and then goes up from
    there regardless of the ambient temperature.

    So it would apprear that for the lot of us the smart CPU fan control
    is pretty useless unless I can set the speed at which it engages. Is
    there anyone out there who can report this feature actually working?

    Dave

    David D., Aug 29, 2003
  6. David D.

    Mark Taylor Guest

    Hello David

    I just built a system up with a new Thermaltake Xaser III aluminium case.
    Upon doing this the 7 fans on this case were inoperable initially and the
    CPU temp was 40C and the CPU kernel temp about 72C. However now that the
    fans are up and working the CPU temp is actually 31-32C, CPU kernel temp is
    69C and the CPU fan is listed at 2700 rpm. Even under load this system only
    changes about 1 to 2 degrees. Current room temperatures are quite low, about
    18C, as it is winter here in Oz. However even in summer this should still be
    quite low as I currently have most of the fans on low speed. I have
    personally found that aluminium cases definitely help reduce overall
    temperatures. In addition the Li Lian PC60 case and this Thermaltake I have
    both have top fans which I do believe help signifircantly in removing the
    hot air from the case. I have a lot of gear in this case like 4 IDE RAID
    disk (0+1) which sit at about 20C BTW.

    So I would think that your case is not well ventilated or may require some
    additional cooling fans. The 40C is not really a problem though from what I
    understand as it will run up to about 60C without problems. However as you
    can see from my example a few case fans can make a significant difference to
    the CPU temps as well.

    Regards
    Mark

    Mark Taylor, Aug 30, 2003
  7. David D.

    David D. Guest

    Thanks for the response, but cooling is not the issue here. The
    temperature is 40C immediately upon an initial cold boot of the
    machine (which *is* aluminum and has plenty of ventilation). For
    example, if I leave the machine overnight, come to it in the morning,
    turn it one and immediately go into the bios (all within 20 seconds),
    the temp is always exactly 40C even if the ambient temperature is well
    below that. If I then leave the machine running, the temp slowly
    creeps up as expected, but not to any temp that would cause a problem
    (highest has been around 45C so far).

    Remember, I'm not concerned here about problematic temperatures since
    I'm not seeing that; my *only* issue is noise and the "smart" fan
    control that doesn't seem to have any practical value. Has anyone
    here gotten the smart fan control to work on this board?

    Dave

    David D., Sep 2, 2003