    stock Intel heatsink and fan. CPU heatsink is cool to the touch.

    Any ideas?

    Lance

    Lance, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Lance

    TomG Guest

    almost sounds like the heat sink is not making good contact with the cpu.
    Intel stock stuff doesn't use thermal grease that could dry out (for the
    cheaper stuff) but just the same, it sort of sounds like the same symptom
    that you would get if the heat sink was loosing contact with the cpu core.

    if you are sure that the cooling fan is still running at a "normal" RPM by
    way of monitoring with something like Motherboard Monitor or similar app,
    then you may want to get your hands on some good quality thermal grease and
    take the heat sink off, remove the remains of the thermal pad from both cpu
    core and heat sink, and then put a thin coating of thermal grease on the cpu
    core and mount things back up.

    be sure not to scratch the soft heat sink material when you are removing any
    remains of the thermal pad. also, pay close attention to the heat sink
    mounting to be sure nothing is interfering with the proper seating and
    contact of the heat sink to cpu core.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Lance

    Lance Guest

    Exactly. Removed CPU and heatsink, found was not making good contact due to
    poor installation. Works great now. I guess you should check and see if
    your vendor has installed heatsink correctly when you buy board and CPU.

    Lance, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Lance

    TomG Guest

    re: check heat sink, absolutely. I tend to check it even after a move of
    the system, for example, to make sure that nothing jarred the system and
    knocked things loose.

    TomG, Dec 15, 2003