    temperature gets too high. Does anyone know if 54 degC is marginal with
    running added software causing it to go over the limit?

    What are the temperature limits of cpu's?

    DrB, Jan 6, 2008

  2. My "newbie" questions:
    What type of thermal transfer medium are you using?
    That tape that possibly came with the CPU fan?
    Or the thermal grease that might need to be cleaned off and reapplied from time to time?

    I got one computer that someone built but they installed the CPU fan upside down and it did not make full contact with the CPU. The CPU did not live long. :-(

    Did you check out the fan to make sure the dirt is not blocking air flow?
    6-12 month periodic cleaning is always a good idea! ;-)

    Have two computers running Soyo Dragon+ motherboards with AMD xp 2000+ (1.67
    GHz) and xp 2600+ (2.08 GHz) with cpu temperatures of 40 degC and 54 degC,
    respectively, as shown on the Soyo Hardware Monitor. Recently the xp 2600
    has been shutting down abruptly and I have to restart. Yesterday I couldn't
    even restart without it freezing up or shutting down once into winxp-pro.
    Today it started up and I deleted Norton AV in WinXP just in case that was
    the problem. It is currently running so I beginning to think that the cpu

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Jan 6, 2008

  3. DrB

    f/fgeorge Guest

    My Intel P4 3.2ghz EE is currently running at 79C!!!! So your Bios may
    have the settings too low or you may have dirt in your system or a fan
    quit running. Open the case and use a can of compressed air on all the
    vents, or call a friend if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

    f/fgeorge, Jan 7, 2008
  4. DrB

    Dazed Guest

    Check to see if all the fans are working, case, power supply, etc.
    Make sure the airflow coming out of the box is not blocked. Check for
    a dirty air filter if you have one.

    I added a Big Typhoon (P/N CL-p0114) heatsink & fan to replace the one
    on the processor on my KT880 Dragon2. Temp now runs about 100 deg F.
    The heat sink is not hot to the touch anymore.

    Does your BIOS have Health Status settings? I found several posts
    about the KT880 shutting down, the "fix" was to turn off FOC (Fan Off
    Control) and ABR (Anti Burn Regulator).

    Dazed, Feb 6, 2008
  5. DrB

    Matt Guest

    54 deg C is not marginal. Check the literature on your CPU on the AMD
    site. I think you'll find that the limit for continuous operation is up
    around 80 degrees C or more.

    You might check the northbridge HSF to be sure you aren't overheating
    that chip. Don't forget that it could be the video system---test by
    swapping the video card.

    An easy way to see that it isn't a software problem would be to run
    Linux (I recommend Ubuntu) from a "live CD". If Linux runs okay, you
    know you will have to reinstall XP (or switch to Linux!).

    Matt, Feb 28, 2008
  6. At what clock speed do the Athlon chips run much hotter than the lower
    speed chips? I have had an 1800+, a 2200+ and a 2700+ in the same system
    and the 2700+ runs 13-15C hotter than either of the others (50C vs 35C). I
    guess I shouldn't be concerned but over 50C just seems hot (and this is in
    the winter with an ambient of 66F or so. In the summer, it has gotten over
    60C with the virus scan running.

    Lee MacMillan, Feb 28, 2008
  7. DrB

    f/fgeorge Guest

    The Intel in the machine I am typing this on is running at 90c!
    My machines all run 24/7/365 each using 100% of the cpu. Distributed
    Computing Projects will do that to your cpu, they will also let you
    know that you are being a bit of a worry wart when worrying abnout 50c
    as a cpu temp.

    f/fgeorge, Feb 28, 2008