    CPU temperature shows between 55C and 59C. Is this normal? The cpu was boxed
    and uses the standard amd cooler and fan. Thanks in advance.
    Rob

    Robert Creasey, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Robert Creasey

    B Guest

    I have an MSI KT4V running an AMD XP 2500 and that is what my temperatures
    are when running high intensive graphics. MSI provides you with a
    temperature monitoring software which I recommend you install and run. The
    threshold for this software monitor is 75C, so you should be fine provided
    you have enough air circulation within the casing.

    regards

    B, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Robert Creasey

    Brad Guest

    I think your CPU has a max operating temp of 85C, so you're well short of
    that. A better cooler and lower ambient heat in the case (ie, more and
    better fans) might bring cpu temp down a few degrees, but you're probably
    okay. Another thing would be to consider a better thermal compound than the
    included silicone paste (Artic Silver, etc.), it can also make a few degrees
    difference.

    Brad, Jul 6, 2003
  4. Robert Creasey

    Verne Cotton Guest

    Hi all,
    It seems that these AMD's run very hot. I have an oversized cpu fan and an
    extra intake fan on the front and that took my system temp down to about 30C
    from 40C and cpu temp down to 52 from 67. It seems that the important thing
    is lots of crossflow ventilation so you have to make sure that the front fan
    pulls the air in and the back fan blows it back out of the case for maximum
    efficiency.
    Best,
    Verne

    Verne Cotton, Jul 8, 2003
  5. Thanks for the information, I believe the maximum operation temperature in
    85C so I am well below that level. Today the temperature of the cpu hovers
    between 53 and 56 so I will keep my fingers crossed that this is OK. I have
    no problems with the computer operating at these temperatures but it just
    seemed to me to be a little on the high side.
    Robert

    Robert Creasey, Jul 9, 2003
  6. Robert Creasey

    777ouse Guest

    have you upgraded to the newest bios.. it fixes the temp readings to correct
    that problem ... i have the same board and after a bios flash they are now
    back down to where they should be..

    777ouse, Jul 10, 2003
  7. Robert Creasey

    Dark1 Guest

    where they should be?
    I guess all of my other motherboards were wrong too then..and alot of
    people's.
    it puts them into the low 30's.. I have a hard time swallowing an AMD with
    stock cooling being anywhere near that..sorry, I think their "fix" just
    screwed the accuracy..

    Dark1, Jul 13, 2003
  8. ...and what is then highest temp. for an AMD Athlon 2000XP ?

    Andreas Kniepert, Jul 16, 2003