CPU Temperature

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by WvdK, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. WvdK

    WvdK Guest

    Hi,

    After several unexpected reboots of my computer, I installed a system
    monitoring tool for monitoring the CPU-temperature. I started it and it
    immediately told me that the CPU-temperature was too high. It was about 60
    degrees Celsius (equals 140 degrees Fahrenheit).

    My system:
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Mobo: AOpen AK77-8XN
    Windows XP SP1
    Monitoring tool: AOpen SilentTek Utility V3.12.30 (with default settings)
    The system is not overclocked

    My question: is 60 degrees Celsius too high for my CPU?

    Thanks,

    Wim v.d. Kooij

    WvdK, Sep 9, 2004

  2. WvdK

    Gnu_Raiz Guest

    The Athlon CPU's can handle up to 85 degrees Celsius without a
    problem, as long as your system is running stable I would not worry
    about it. Try using another case fan if it keeps rebooting, you might
    have bad air flow in the case. You could always reset the heatsink,
    use a good quality paste, like Artic Silver, you will be surprised how
    a good case fan can work.

    Also some CPU diodes are off a bit, I would check the bios temps, and
    compare them to the SilentTek ones. I personally had a Athlon XP 2600
    reading in the high 72s to 76s running 24/7 in a desktop ATX case
    without any stability problems. In fact the outside of the case was
    hot to the touch, that case killed two hardrives, and a power supply.
    But the system was stable, the case had a major problem with air flow.
    So I RMAed the power supply back to Antec, and am waiting for its
    return. I then put the system in another case which has better air
    flow, now I am reading in the low 50's, still as stable as before.

    It might not hurt to run Memtest86 to see if its not a hardware
    problem, bad memory does that sometimes, but your temps looks fine.

    Gnu_Raiz

    Gnu_Raiz, Sep 11, 2004

  3. WvdK

    WvdK Guest