    opened case and can find no noticeable markings on m/b for revision etc).

    if you require any further info will get it if I can.

    thanks in advance

    Rev Dr Mark, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Rev Dr Mark

    mike Guest

    You're gonna pay money for the processor, increase the internal
    temperature, decrease the timing margins (remember that machine hasn't
    been burned in and bug-tested at the higher clock speed)and
    risk busting the laptop during the upgrade process
    for what? 21% increase in processor speed??

    Remember, for most single user sessions, the processor is doing
    mostly nothing. To put that into perspective,
    a 1GHz cpu is gonna twiddle it's thumbs a hundred thousand times
    during each and every 10mS disk seek. With a processor upgrade,
    It can twiddle 121,000 times. Money spent on faster twiddling
    is wasted. Yeah, the OS mitigates this somewhat, but the numbers
    are still staggering for many applications.

    Sure, you can come up with a scenario where 21% can be noticed, but if
    you're in that application league, you're gonna still be unhappy
    with a dog of an 850 MHz laptop.

    My P90 is so fast that my typing can't outrun it. Should I upgrade it
    to a P133 just because I can?

    You don't say how much ram you have, but if you've got a lot of swap
    space in use, you may get much more visible improvement from more ram.
    Eliminate some of those swapfile accesses your processor is twiddling
    waiting for.

    Processor speed ain't everything.
    mike

    laptops and parts Test Equipment
    4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
    Honda CB-125S
    400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $450
    Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
    Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

    mike, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Rev Dr Mark

    fossilruins

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    The Compaq Armada 110 is capable of supporting an 850mhz with no problems. The same heat sink is used for both the 700mhz and the 850mhz p3/celery processors. No jumper change is necessary. I've done this on mine and it works a little faster. The main problem with that specfic model of armada is the memory. it can only handle max 2x256mb PC100 sodimms, so it would give you 512mb + 64mb on board = 576mb.

    fossilruins, Apr 16, 2008
  4. Rev Dr Mark

    Lou vanVelzen

    Joined:
    May 2, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Sacramento, California
    Since this remains a first-page Google result for "Compaq Armada 110 CPU Upgrade"(seven years later), I'll throw in some recent experience. I just tried each a 1.26 GHz and 1.0 GHz Socket 370. These apparently each exceeded the wattage of the power supply (by around 25%), and the system didn't even POST. At ten bucks a processor, I thought "what the heck", though, and gave it a whirl without calculating existing load. The good news, the old 850 MHz processor continues to function. I did have some luck upgrading the RAM to 1-gig, using old Mac memory, but that's another story. Now . . . a PATA SSD drive, before I move on to frankensteining an old 286 laptop . . .

    Lou vanVelzen, May 2, 2015