CPU upgrade for Presario 7000z (7qsme2)

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by sstevens69, Mar 25, 2008.

1. sstevens69

sstevens69

I've looked at the specs for this system on HP.com, it currently has a 1.2Ghz Athlon (Thunderbird?) processor. I've just upgraded the RAM from the factory 256mb to 1 Gig, installed WinXP Pro, and it's a fairly fast machine considering its age.

I'd like to upgrade to a faster processor if the MB will support it. I've Googled high & low looking for MB specs that will detail what CPUs are supported, but to no avail.

Does anyone have a source for this information, or know in fact what fastest CPU is supported? My gut tells me I can probably use any socket A/462 CPU with a 266mHz FSB, which probably maxes out around the 2600xp processors.

BTW, HP's system detection activeX control wrongly reports another system. I did successfully upgrade the BIOS by downloading an updated one from HP from the config page for this system.

Sherm

sstevens69, Mar 25, 2008
Ask a Question