CPUs supported by AOpen AK73-1394?

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Ole M. Olsen, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. Ole M. Olsen

    Ole M. Olsen Guest

    My Athlon Thunderbird 1 GHz CPU seems to have called it quits. I'm
    using an AOpen AK73-1394 mainboard - i.e. KT-133 based (note: NOT the
    KT-133A based AK73-1394(A))

    According to the manual that came with it, it supports Athlon 600
    MHz-1 GHz and Duron 600-750 MHz - all of course with a 200 MHz bus. I
    know that later BIOS upgrades have added support for up to 1.4 GHz,
    but in any case, it's virtually impossible (at least here in Norway)
    to find a single AMD CPU with a 200 MHz bus anymore (except of course
    second-hand).

    The closest I can find is a Duron 1,4 GHz/266 MHz. So then naturally
    my question is: can I use it on my mainboard? And if so, which
    jumper/DIP switch settings do I use?

    I've tried to find the answer both on AOpen's web pages and the web in
    general without much luck, so I hope someone is able to help me with
    some info.

    The easiest way out would naturally be to buy a new mainboard, new CPU
    and new RAM, but then we're talking a price range that my personal
    economy is sadly not quite able to handle very well at the moment...
    ;-)

    I'd be happy for any tips!

    Ole

    (Exchange (a) with @ for e-mail.)

    Ole M. Olsen, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Ole M. Olsen

    c Guest

    Ole,

    You are right, the 200FSB processors are getting hard to find everywhere,
    and when you do find them they are expensive. You have to be careful using
    the 1GHz and faster Duron CPU's in the KT133 motherboards because some of
    them do not support the Morgan core that these CPUs are based on. The 1.1
    Athlon seems to still be readily available here in the States for about
    $40US. As far as I know, this board does not support the 266FSB CPU, but I
    could be wrong on that one. Here is the CPU table for your board in case it
    will help.

    http://swe.aopen.com.tw/testreport/mb/cpu_supported.asp?TestFunction=38&Model=684

    Chris

    c, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Ole M. Olsen

    Wes Newell Guest

    See sig line. See website. If you have questions after that, ask. In
    short, you should be able to run anything you want.

    Wes Newell, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Ole M. Olsen

    Ole M. Olsen Guest

    Though slightly confusing, it's probably the best tip I've had until
    now. Thanks!

    But:

    1) Can I run one of these "unsupported" CPUs without actually
    modifying the CPU itself? (Never mind what speed I'll actually get out
    of it, I just need something that runs at all.)

    2) I still don't know what kind of newer CPU core types (like the
    Duron Morgan core that was mentioned) my motherboard will accept.

    Does anyone actually have any such experience with the AK73-1393 - or
    another AOpen AK73 (not (A)) board?

    Still thankful for all and any help! :)

    Ole

    Ole M. Olsen, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Ole M. Olsen

    Wes Newell Guest

    All will run without mods, but you want one with a default multiplier of
    13 or higher so you have access to the upper multipliers. One option would
    be a 2100+ Tbred B core. That's what I used in mine.
    A google search on AK73 didn't turn up much. So maybe you can be the
    first. Buy this 2100+ cpu;
    CPU: 1.73 GHz
    Type: 2100 XP Thoroughbred (revision B)
    Cache: 256K
    BUS: 266MHz
    Micron: .13
    Socket A (PGA) OEM (Processor Only)
    Model#: AXDA2100DUT/3C
    $62.00

    from newegg.com, or anywhere else as long as the type is the same. Plug it
    in and be happy. I haven't looked at your MB specs, but it will probably
    boot at 2000MHz (20x100). If not, set multiplier to 12.5 and reboot to
    2000MHz. Or select a speed of your choice up to 24xFSB.

    Wes Newell, Nov 12, 2003
  6. Ole M. Olsen

    Anonymous Guest

    If you're intersted, folks:

    I tried with an Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred, and it wouldn't boot.
    The conclusion is either a) it simply won't work, at least with THIS
    motherboard, or b) my motherboard is broken.

    It doesn't much matter, because in any case it means that I'll have to
    go the long path and buy a new motherboard, CPU and RAM anyway (as in
    fact I HAVE by now - ordered the stuff, anyway, haven't received the
    goods yet.)

    Ole

    Anonymous, Nov 20, 2003
  7. Ole M. Olsen

    Wes Newell Guest

    A 2200+ A core will not work. No A core Tbred over 2000+ will work. It has
    to be a Tbred B core. So your findings only confirm this, nothing else,

    Wes Newell, Nov 20, 2003
  8. Ole M. Olsen

    Anonymous Guest

    Fair enough. But I can't find any info about what's A core and what's
    B core...

    Well well... doesn't matter anymore. But it would have been nice if it
    had worked. :)

    Ole

    P.S. If my posts still appear as being from "Anonymous," that means
    there's still something wrong on Newsfeeds.com's side...

    Anonymous, Nov 20, 2003
  9. Ole M. Olsen

    Wes Newell Guest

    A cores has a cpuid of 680 and shoulf have a stepping ending with an A, as
    in AxxxA. B cores have cpuid's of 681, and should have a stepping ending
    with a B, as in AIUHB.

    Wes Newell, Nov 20, 2003