    sound. I updated the MB's Bios and the Realtek AC97 Drivers to no avail.
    Anyone know what it could be?

    Thanks

    G. Gorman, Apr 5, 2006

  2. G. Gorman

    Paul Guest

    What is your motherboard ?

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 5, 2006

  3. G. Gorman

    P2B Guest

    Do you get a buzzing/crackling sound when there is no signal (i.e.
    volume high but nothing playing), or are you referring to signal distortion?

    The former suggests a poor connection or grounding problem, while the
    latter suggests a software problem (BIOS PCI latency timer setting can
    cause it, for example).

    P2B

    P2B, Apr 5, 2006
  4. G. Gorman

    G. Gorman Guest

    You guys are fast to reply - Thanks!

    The Motherboard is a P4S8X-MX

    And, yes I get the buzzing sound when the volume is med-high but nothing
    playing. It is louder when plugged into the front audio input than in the
    rear.

    Sounds like it may be the grounding problem. Any suggestions to get rid of
    that? Will installing a (new) soundcard take care of it (and disabling
    on-board sound)?

    G. Gorman, Apr 5, 2006
  5. G. Gorman

    P2B Guest

    There's a hint ;-)

    I'd try disconnecting the front audio ports (all of them) from the
    motherboard. If that fixes the rear port, you know the cables to the
    front are inadequately shielded or part of a ground loop.
    Quite possibly, but also quite possibly not. Better to understand the
    problem before throwing money at it.

    Other information that might help:

    What does your external audio system consist of? Is it externally
    powered? From the same outlet? Have you tried headphones?

    P2B

    P2B, Apr 5, 2006
  6. G. Gorman

    Paul Guest

    In the electrical standard for your country, do you have a safety
    ground ? In North America, newly built homes have three prong plugs,
    and the third prong is a safety ground (earth). Older homes have only
    two prongs, and that can occasionally cause problems.

    Computers typically have PI filters where the AC enters the power
    supply. One of the side effects of the PI filter, is it dumps a
    small amount of AC from the power line, into the safety ground.
    If, for any reason, the connection to the safety ground is open,
    the computer case can become electrified. I'm guessing there is
    a potential mechanism there, to introduce "AC hum" into an audio
    circuit. Especially if the computer and the stereo are on separate
    AC circuits or AC wall sockets, and one of the sockets is defective
    or is behaving differently than the other socket.

    Also, one of the hardest things, in diagnosing audio problems, is
    in the terminology used to describe the problem. Buzzing, popping,
    and crackling mean different things to different people, so it is
    sometimes hard to know just exactly what a person is hearing.

    If you had a way to record the sound and could post it somewhere
    for download, that is one way to get a good description of the
    symptoms.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 5, 2006