    sensitive.

    I will use the ground fault henceforth but would really appreciate a
    response as to whether the sizzle meant anything.

    mutefan, Sep 1, 2006

  2. mutefan

    John Navas Guest

    Was your audio volume turned all the way up? My ThinkPad T41 crackles a
    bit in that case, probably due to a cheap audio amp. Turning down the
    volume a bit makes the problem go away.

    John Navas, Sep 1, 2006

  3. mutefan

    Populares Guest

    I have similar effect on my R51e, but the sizzle is only audible for a
    fraction of second, just before handshake starts.

    Moreover, as I'm utilizing more than one dial-up access provider it
    appears with only some of them.

    Unfortunately I can't offer you any solution.

    Populares, Sep 1, 2006
  4. Ge\uess it depands if the noise is from the speaker or inside. I'd guess it
    is not a problem, but you're listening to it, not me.

    Unrelated, I buy thinkpads with a 3 year warranty. Some think I'm wasting
    my money, and that's ok. Add $288 and you get 4 years with screen damage
    coverage.

    What are you doing with your r40? Mine, 2723 is at the 5 year point. I
    could get $400 or so on ebay, probably not enuf to cover the cost the the
    2-1 gig menory chips.. It plays cnn pipeline or an occasional movie for now.
    And I sort f broke even on the r40 4 year warranty. In the shop twice in 4
    years, and I must have gone thru 6 hard disks. It is, or was, turned on
    nearly continously since new. I make a backup image at least monthly, and it
    is so easy to swap hd's on the r40.

    Luba Papageorgio, Sep 2, 2006
  5. mutefan

    mutefan Guest

    Wow, I agree. I have always been stumped as to why people make backup
    images, unless of course you have True Image or Ghost or something to
    that affect. Otherwise, I don't understand what you'd have to
    backup--the system?

    I also got a three year warranty on my R40 and got every penny of it.
    I've become a one-person salesman for computer warranties, which really
    are the only warranties I can think of that pay off.

    Final question: Have you always used IBM/Lenovo hard drives?

    mutefan, Sep 3, 2006
  6. mutefan

    BillW50 Guest

    Huh? To return the OS, applications, and data to the last state in which
    it was last backed up. Of course you don't ever need it unless something
    bad happens. :)

    Or you can just backup your data which is what I do most of the time and
    the heck with the OS and applications. Thus if something bad happens,
    you already have the OS and the applications install discs anyway. It's
    just the bloody updates you have to get online. lol
    How did you get every penny of it? While I have to pay medical, car
    insurance, etc. because they force me too. But I never use any of it.
    Never have and probably never will. And I'm 50 years old.

    BillW50, Sep 3, 2006
  7. mutefan

    Ed Guest

    Actually, you don't have to go online to get those "bloody updates" !
    <G>

    Simply go to:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

    Click on: "Find updates for Microsoft Windows Operating System"

    Select your operating system, then click on "Search".

    When all the updates are displayed, "Add" the ones you want to
    download, and then download them to a nice safe place... maybe copy them
    to a CD.

    Next time you need to install your operating system, all you have to
    do afterward is install the updates stored on your CD, or whatever.

    Ed

    Ed, Sep 3, 2006
  8. mutefan

    BillW50 Guest

    Thanks Ed! :D

    BillW50, Sep 3, 2006
  9. mutefan

    mutefan Guest

    Hey, Bill, I feel your pain! I'm turning 50 next month, but I still
    think computer warranties are the only that are really worth it. (In
    fact, a few months ago on one of the morning shows like Today or Good
    Morning America, they devoted a whole half hour to extended service
    contracts, and a whole pile of experts agreed you get the most bang for
    your extended-warranty buck from one for your computer.)

    Viva 1956!!!!

    mutefan, Sep 5, 2006
  10. mutefan

    BillW50 Guest

    Well what can I say? I've been buying computers since '81 and the main
    reason I quit using the older ones is because they were simply obsolete.
    My first laptop was an Epson PX-8 Geneva ('84 era) and it still works to
    this very day (can't set the date past 1999 though). So out of the 20 or
    so computers I have bought, I'm on my 6th laptop. And they still all
    work today except one Toshiba 1950CS. And this was a 486 machine that
    the engineers didn't put a fan in (my two earlier laptops didn't have
    fans either - nor did they need them). And that one lasted 5 years
    before the heat got to it. And an extended warrantee wouldn't have saved
    that one anyway. So I am batting 6 for 6 so far in the past 22 years for
    laptops. Thus look at all of the money I saved in all of that time.
    Better yet, none of them were purchased brand new but was either
    refurbushed or used. Well that Epson was new and the second one was new,
    except used for a computer show for a few days.

    BillW50, Sep 5, 2006