crakling noise through speakers

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Guest, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard and a P4 3gig CPU (o/clocked to
    3.21g), 2 X 512mg PC3200 Kingmax DDR ram, an ATI 9600XT video card with the
    latest Cat drivers, 2 X 160gig Seagate Sata drives config as RAID0 on the
    Intel Raid connectors on the motherboard, 1 X Tekram U160 SCSI card that has
    a 36gig Fujitsu 10K U320 drive (boot drive) as well as a Western Digital
    80gig IDE drive with a SCSI adapter attached. Two optical drive, Liteon
    1653 DVDRW and Pioneer 109 on IDE Channel 2.

    Also installed on the motherboard is an an Audigy 2ZS Sound Card, an a
    Leadtek XP2000 Expert TV card. I also have the motherboards USB and
    Firefire ports enabled.

    I have had this setup for approx. 6 months and other than changing the SCSI
    boot drive from an old IBM 10k 18g drive to the Futjitsu. I have also
    recently installed the two optical drives which replaced an on LG DVD
    burner.

    The problem that I have recently become aware of is that during hardisk
    activity of the main boot drive ( the Fijitsu SCSI drive) I can hear
    crackling coming from the speakers (Logitech 640s). Granted the problem
    may have been there before but now it is very noticable especially as the
    speaker volume is turned up.

    I was thinking that it might be an IRQ issue and have swapped the sound,
    scsi and TV cards around in the PCI slots, but the crackling buzzing sound
    of hardisk activity can still be heard throught the speakers.

    I have the latest Audigy drivers installed.

    Has anyone any ideas what the fix could be??

    Regards,
    Shane

    Guest, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Guest

    Mercury Guest

    There is a setting in the PCI settings section of the bios. Something like
    PCI Latency Timer which should normally have a value of 32. If it is too
    high (64, 128, max 256) a PCI device can hog the bus and do such things. If
    it is too low then performance can suffer.

    See http://www.rojakpot.com/ for more bios info.

    HTH

    Mercury, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for your help. I changed the scsi LVD cable as the old one appeared
    to be a bit frayed. Now I do not have any of that offending noise!!

    Thanks,
    Shane

    Guest, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Guest

    Mercury Guest

    Well, thats amazing!
    A lose connection on a scsi cable causing fuzzy sound & no crash.

    Mercury, Feb 17, 2005
  5. Guest

    Rob Hemmings Guest

    Probably RFI screening was damaged on scsi cable rather than the data lines.

    Rob Hemmings, Feb 17, 2005