Crash crash crash on 8RDA3+ "FSB 400 Ultra Edition"?

Discussion in 'Epox' started by The Enigmatic Mr. Jingo, Aug 23, 2003.

  1. Well I have the above board and an Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton). Running
    at 400 FSB with a pair of Geil 512 MB PC3200 DDR in dual channel mode.
    Using onboard audio and a GeForce FX 5600 Ultra. Power supply is a
    Mustang 350W. OS is Windows XP Pro SP1. I have some problems:

    - Usually any game I play will crash anywhere from 10 minutes to a few
    hours. Not just 3D games, I have 2D-only games and they crash too. By
    crash I mean the system either hard-locks or reboots itself, not
    merely a crash to Windows desktop.
    - Another thing that will guarantee me a crash is trying to encode
    video files in VirtualDub.
    - Another problem is I cannot burn CDs at more than 24x though I have
    a 52x burner that worked perfectly in another computer. If I try to
    burn faster I get a buffer underrun within the first minute. Also I
    notice CPU usage is near 100% when burning a CD. I have run SiSoft
    Sandra tests and cannot find any problems with the HD transfer rates
    or memory bandwidth, I can't think of anything else that would cause
    the buffer to empty.

    I notice when I boot up after the crash that my CPU temp in BIOS is
    around 61-67 Celsius. Seems fine to me since AMD says the max die
    temperature for this CPU is 85 Celsius.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    The Enigmatic Mr. Jingo, Aug 23, 2003

  2. The Enigmatic Mr. Jingo

    Brian Rusten Guest

    Jingo

    CD: probably a silly question, but you do have it set for DMA, don't you?

    Regards

    Brian

    Brian Rusten, Aug 24, 2003