Crashing after having more RAM installed

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Theowne, Jan 1, 2007.

  1. Theowne

    Theowne Guest

    Before I go into my problem, I'm somewhat computer literate but I'm
    completely uncomfortable with doing anything hardware related myself
    cause I tend to screw it up.

    So what happens is that I recently went to a shop and they installed
    an extra Kingston 2x512 into my Gateway computer. My computer has an
    AMD X2 3800. Anyways, so now my total was 2gb of memory, however
    after I got back, my computer crashes. A lot. I notice that it
    crashes a lot when I have more then one thing open, although sometimes
    it crashes when I don't. The reason I upgraded to 2gb was because I
    wanted more RAM for my music software - of course, now my music
    programs are useless because they keep crashing themselves or else the
    computer crashes.

    Anyways, when i say crash, basically what happens is that the screen
    goes blank and reboots, with the Windows message "recovered from
    serious error". Other then that it's what would happen if I
    normally rebooted. Sometimes before the actual crash for a second or
    two the sound will suddenly start repeating, kind of like on a broken
    CD or something.

    Anyways, I tried to get the computer shop to help me out since it was
    only after the RAM install that my computer started crashing. I
    verified that it wasn't a case of bad RAM (I booted both the memtest
    and Windows diagnostic, and they both passed the actual RAM itself).
    The computer guys won't accept that it's a problem with the RAM, they
    think I just got a virus and am too stupid to know it. I tried system
    restore anyways, since no harm could come from it and of course the
    crashing still persists.

    I know it is in some way connected to the RAM because it only
    exchibits this behaviour after having the RAM installed.

    Any ideas?

    Theowne, Jan 1, 2007

  2. Theowne

    mdp Guest

    Can you put the new RAM into the old slots (leave out the old RAM) and test
    the stability?

    mdp, Jan 1, 2007

  3. Theowne

    Ben Myers Guest

    Download and run MEMTEST-86, the best memory diagnostic available and at the
    very best price, namely free. If MEMTEST-86 shows ANY errors at all with the
    new memory installed, there are only a few possibilities as to the cause:

    1. Defective memory
    2. Memory that does not meet specifications required by motherboard
    3. Incorrect installation of memory
    4. Defective motherboard

    Other things to do to isolate the cause:

    1. Check system specs on Gateway web site, especially placement of memory
    modules in sockets and detailed memory specifications
    2. Run MEMTEST-86 with only the new memory installed.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 1, 2007