Crashing in WinXP setup with M2N32-SLI Del, Athlon 64 X2 5600+ -- please HELP!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jjclose, Jun 2, 2007.

  1. jjclose

    jjclose

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Hi,

    I have been unable to install WinXP on a system with this mobo. I started with the following:

    M2N32-SLI
    Athlon 64 X2 5600+
    BFG 7950 GT
    Seagate 400GB Sata
    OCZ DDR2-800 4x1GB
    DVD-ROM (IDE)
    DVD-RW (SATA)
    Antec NeoHE
    Antec P180 case

    The first phase of Windows setup works fine, formatting and writing files to the HDD. After reboot, I get to the first Windows screen where it asks me to find some driver directory on the CD. WHILE IT IS WAITING at that point, it crashes. This happens before I even type anything. Sometimes it happens before it gets to that screen, but usually it is at that screen and within 3-5 seconds of that screen appearing. This is a full system halt btw.

    I've removed memory down to 1 card. I don't have a graphics card alternate, but I removed both the SATA HDD and the DVD-RW, and am now running off an IDE HD and an IDE CD drive. I have disabled everything SATA that I can find in the BIOS. It still happens in the exact same area, with the same behavior.

    One other important detail: I was able to install Ubuntu on this exact same system (with the swapped parts), replacing the Windows install on the IDE HDD, and it installed and ran fine!!!

    I'm down to 1) completely replacing memory, and 2) replacing video card, and at that point there will be nothing else to replace except mobo, cpu, and PSU. I am skeptical that it is the PSU because it is one that was recommended for this setup.

    Since the Ubuntu install appeared to work correctly, this seems to be more of a driver issue than anything else, but I don't know what else it could be besides Sata.

    Any ideas anyone? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

    PS One other detail I forgot to add: I have edited the DRAM timings to make it 5-5-5-12 as is the proper timing on those cards

    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
    jjclose, Jun 2, 2007
  2. jjclose

    jjclose

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    No comment from anybody???

    nobody has had an experience similar to this?

    jjclose, Jun 3, 2007