Crazy IS7-E

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Paul Lower, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. Paul Lower

    Paul Lower Guest

    Hi
    I've just built a computer using this board. I installed XP Home on a Maxtor
    Sata Hard Drive. and then found it would not reboot. I got a message saying
    disk failure etc. I changed the priorities of the hard drives in the bios so
    that IDE 1 came first and it booted. I've had several failures to boot since
    only to find that the bios had changed the priorities for no apparent
    reason. When I installed the graphics drivers (nvidia) IDE 1 completely
    disapeared and I had to reset the Bios.
    The setup I have is as follows IDE 1 Maxtor 60 GB 5400 HD as master, IDE 2
    CD ROM, Writer Etc, IDE 3 Maxtor 80GB Sata HD.
    I am completely baffled. There is nothing on the IDE 1 drive, it shows up as
    drive D in windows yet the machine refuses to boot unless it is there and
    has numero uno priority! I tried changing it for a better HD and found that
    I couldn't get the computer to boot at all.
    I've had various messages during these experiments including "NTLDR missing"
    and even "your CPU is unserviceable visit Soft Menu"
    This M/B is one unstable piece of shit.
    Has anyone else out there had similar problems and should I be RMAing it
    pretty soon?
    Paul

    Paul Lower, Oct 26, 2003

  2. Paul Lower

    TomG Guest

    you running the newest bios (1.6 I believe...)? some have posted that you
    need to have IDE Bus Master mode enabled for this issue which can be found
    under the Onchip IDE settings.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 118,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Oct 26, 2003

  3. Paul Lower

    Paul Lower Guest

    Hi
    I'm using the latest bios 1.6 and I've tried bus mastering on and of and not
    noticed any difference.
    Paul

    Paul Lower, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Paul Lower

    TomG Guest

    hmmm... a previous poster had indicated that having that setting enabled
    allowed him to get things worked out... even though that setting is supposed
    to be for DOS mode only.

    not too sure what to tell you. I have SATA and PATA both populated and
    don't have any issues with that on an IC7-G. the bios settings are pretty
    much identical in that area between the two boards. I can't understand why
    you would need to have the PATA set as first priority but I have read a
    number of posts regarding having PATA hard drives and SATA mixed and having
    problems for some reason.

    TomG, Oct 27, 2003
  5. Paul Lower

    TomG Guest

    just thought of something... have you tried enabling the raid mode and raid
    bios? a regular, non-raid drive will still work on the SATA channels even
    though raid mode and bios are enabled.

    TomG, Oct 27, 2003
  6. Paul Lower

    Paul Lower Guest

    Hi Tom
    Thankyou for your advise but there is no raid mode on the IS7-E.
    Paul

    Paul Lower, Oct 27, 2003
  7. Paul Lower

    TomG Guest

    uh, sorry about that. I didn't realize that the IS7-E does not include Raid
    for the SATA channel.

    TomG, Oct 27, 2003
  8. Paul Lower

    I. E. Guest

    Paul,
    The IS7 (Bios 1.6) I was setting up is now working great but at first, I
    had problems very similar to yours. I had a Raptor on SATA1 in IDE mode
    and did a fresh load of XP with SP 1 onto it. Once the system finally
    booted (only with SATA set to Auto) and looked stable, I tried to
    connect a Maxtor IDE drive from the old system with XP on it to copy off
    some data files. Whenever the Maxtor drive was connected to either the
    IDE1 or IDE2 connectors, XP failed to boot from the Raptor and the
    monitor screen was blank. I had to remove the XP install on the Maxtor
    with a utility called Delpart before XP would boot the Raptor drive on
    SATA1 with the Maxtor on the IDE.

    My best guess is that the XP loader only wants to see one drive with a
    XP boot on the system. However, I must also mention I was still having
    problems with XP seeing all the CD drives and the Maxtor drive. Plus, I
    was not able to boot in the Enhanced mode at the time (which is what you
    want to be in), it would only boot with OnChip Serial ATA set to Auto.

    FINALLY, I used a suggestion that was given by Old Egypt to the owner of
    an IC7 Max3 having similar problems getting a Raptor drive to boot from
    the SATA in the Enhanced mode. Only after setting IDE Bus Master to
    Enabled (which the manual says only needs to be enabled for DOS)in the
    OnChip IDE device menu I was able to boot to the Raptor using the
    Enhanced mode which allowed XP to see all the IDE devices and the maxtor
    drive correctly.

    Of note: I noticed that whenever I made changes to the SATA mode it
    screwed up the Hard Disk Boot Priority. So whenever I made OnChip SATA
    mode changes, I saved and exited the BIOS and then went right back into
    the BIOS to verify all the settings for boot priority and SATA settings.

    Hope you find this helpful,

    John

    I. E., Oct 28, 2003
  9. Paul Lower

    Paul Lower Guest

    Hi
    Thanks for your email. I have now set the sata mode to enhanced and the IDE
    bus master to enabled and achieved stability for the time being. Ide 1 is
    still number one priority and I can only assume that during installation of
    XP it put some sort of dll file on the pata drive which makes it impossible
    to boot with the sata drive without the pata being present. Its not what I
    was aiming to do but I will settle for it for now as long as the system is
    stable.
    Paul

    Paul Lower, Oct 28, 2003