    installer DVD, why not save the 30G space for backups? Is there a
    pitfall I'm missing?

    Additionally. I already have a bootable second internal drive.

    Mike Lindsay, Oct 31, 2007

  2. Mike Lindsay

    Guest Guest

    superduper can clone your internal drive to the external drive and it
    will be bootable. time machine doesn't work that way.
    they do???

    there is no need for a 10g partition if you have the dvd, unless you
    want to hack the installer scripts to install on unsupported machines.
    the mac pro is definitely not among those.
    having a backup on the same drive is not going to save you when the
    drive fails. also, 30g is rather small for 10.5 (or any version of os
    x for that matter).

    do they really suggest this???

    Guest, Oct 31, 2007

  3. Mike Lindsay

    Warren Oates Guest

    Don't be stupid. There are all sorts of reasons to have your installer
    on a bootable partition. What I _wouldn't_ do is have my backups volume
    on the same drive as my system, that's pretty stupid too. But then, I
    haven't trusted anything MacFixit have said for years.

    Warren Oates, Oct 31, 2007
  4. Mike Lindsay

    Mike Lindsay Guest

    Here's a snippet of the MacFixit article. It's hidden behind their
    paywall but Google's cache revealed it as I was searching for info.

    Quoting MacFixit
    I think that I'll just install the 10G partition, leaving the rest of
    the drive for Time Machine. As Warren Oates pointed out, there are
    sound reasons to have the installer DVD on a bootable partition.
    (Faster installs on new internal drives?) I just can't rationalize the
    30G partition given that I have two bootable internal drives - one
    Leopard, one Tiger.

    Mike Lindsay, Oct 31, 2007
  5. Mike Lindsay

    Guest Guest

    actually, you won't be able to *install* onto an apm partitioned drive
    with an intel mac. however, if you use a powerpc mac to install to an
    apm partitioned drive, it will be bootable on an intel mac.

    Guest, Oct 31, 2007
  6. Mike Lindsay

    Guest Guest

    'all sorts of reasons' ?? the only reason is if you frequently need to
    boot the installer, and that is a fairly rare occurence.

    Guest, Oct 31, 2007
  7. Mike Lindsay

    Warren Oates Guest

    It's always there, and I don't have to go looking through my drawers if
    I need it. It can be added to and updated and I can use it to create a
    bootable DVD of my most recent system with some useful utilities added
    if I keep it under 8 or whatever gigs.

    Warren Oates, Oct 31, 2007