Creative Annihilator 2 card--are the newer Nvidia drivers reallycompatible w/ such older cards?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by D. K. Kraft, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. D. K. Kraft

    D. K. Kraft Guest

    A question regarding drivers and card compatibility...

    I'm running Win 98 SE with an Annihilator 2 (Creative Labs) on a
    home-built box, AMD 700 on the board. Yeah, the set-up is aging but
    still working well, and finances haven't allowed for a major upgrade
    yet. BIOS is set to optimum for this particular card, which is
    considered a GeForce IIRC.

    I like to play older games, such as Drakan, the Myst trilogy, and
    others, and I've found that 53.04 drivers and up don't seem to make as
    nice with such games as the 45.23's. However, I've read that others
    have no problems running the newer drivers with even older cards, like
    the TNT series, so I was wondering if anyone had read/discovered what
    component within the drivers above 45.23 seems to cause problems for
    some older cards and not others.

    All replies and feedback appreciated --
    --
    /\ /\ | "Thousands of years ago, cats were
    ^o o^ D.K. "Cat" Kraft | worshipped as gods. Cats have

    D. K. Kraft, Jul 22, 2004

  2. D. K. Kraft

    Biz Guest

    The ONLY reason to upgrade drivers for older cards is to allow using newer
    version of DirectX, or to make allowances for new games since occasional
    fixes exist for specific new games.

    If you are playing older games, and not running the newest DirectX, which
    isnt needed unless you are trying to use something new, it is pointless to
    keep upgrading drivers for old cards.

    Biz, Jul 22, 2004