    shows up as a DVD drive; CDs works in it: When I put a DVD in, I get not
    responding error messages. I have installed WinDVD and PowerDVD. and even
    addded some files from Windows (then it worked temporarily) Any ideas?

    Nate Rosenthal, Jul 5, 2004

  2. You could try using a lens cleaner on it, it might fix the problem. If not
    'tis knackered I suspect. As long as Windows recognises it as a DVD ROM, it
    should just work.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Jul 5, 2004

  3. "knackered"????

    Actually since I wrote this, window is only seeing it as a CD ROM drive. If
    I use a lens cleaner, do I open it up or just by a DVD cleaner?

    Nate Rosenthal, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Use a cleaner disc.

    If Windows is seeing it as a CD ROM drive, you could try updating its driver
    in XP. Some Intel Chipset (INF ) drivers mess up detecting DVD ROMs as CDs
    sometimes.

    Since Windows did previously detect it as a DVD-ROM, it could just be that
    yer IDE/mobo drivers need to be updated. You could try updateing the mobo
    drivers ( VIA Hyperion/ Intel INF ).

    Sharanga Dayananda, Jul 6, 2004
  5. would reinstalling XP do the trick?

    Nate Rosenthal, Jul 7, 2004
  6. You could just remove the IDE controller device ( not the primary or
    secondary device, but the parent device ) and reboot. It will redect the
    chipset drivers. That would be easier and quicker and will redetect yer hard
    disks a nd CD/DVD devices on reboot. You need to do this anyway when you
    change motherboards. Otherwise XP won't boot with the new mobo without
    reinstalling.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Jul 7, 2004
  7. Remove it in device manager, right?

    Nate Rosenthal, Jul 7, 2004
  8. Yeah, the IDE controller

    Sharanga Dayananda, Jul 7, 2004
  9. New problem

    uninstalled IDE controller and the drivers reinstalled themselves. I got
    the DVD to work using windows media player, real player and interactual.
    However, after about 5 or 6 minutes the sound went off. I tried starting
    the DVD from the middle and the same thing happened.

    Any thoughts

    Nate Rosenthal, Jul 9, 2004
  10. Could you post yer system specs and the versions of the drivers for sound
    and stuff.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Jul 9, 2004
  11. Also, does the DVD still playback?

    You could try installing the latest drivers for yer sound. What's yer
    soundcard. If the video still plays back, 'tis not yer DVD-ROM, but some
    other problem like with a CODEC or sound driver.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Jul 9, 2004
  12. The Video works fine.

    Celeron 650MHz w/512 RAM 20GB HD and using XP Home Edition

    Using a Creative 8400E DVD-ROM

    The Audio Controller is 82801 BA/BAM AC'97 7/1/2001 Version 5.1.2535.0

    The Creative has the same driver being used

    Under Codecs I have: Sipro Lab v 3.02, Windows Media 4.02, Franhaofer MPEG
    1.9, Indeo 2.05, Microsoft PCM 5.00

    There are also six with extensions of .acm

    To update driver, it's asking for disk. Since I don't have the disk, I
    assume I need to find this stuff of the Net and download it.

    Let me know what other info you need.

    Thanks again so far.

    Nate Rosenthal, Jul 9, 2004
  13. By any chance are you using a demo version of the DVD player apps? Some of
    them used to have the audio cutout aftera while. Just thought I'd ask.

    Do you know what the model number of yer motherboard is? It seems to me to
    be an Intel 810 chipset mobo. Some of these have Intel audio drivers for
    Win2k only and not for XP. I'm guessing they should be alright. Also, one
    i810 chipset has only Win98 drivers.

    I found a driver source which claimed to have a unified binary at:

    http://sound-cards.driverfiles.net/page,show,20411,904,7,.html

    Use this at yer own risk. Driver support for this mobo seems to have stopped
    a while ago. This driver binary actually has some missing files someone'd
    posted on taht page.

    I think yer best bet is to use a PCI soundcard. You can get a SB Live! 5.1
    for around
    http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=15&product=50,
    if 'tis actually a sound problem that is. Also, some of these mobos,
    assuming 'tis actually an i810 don't have drivers from Intel anymore.

    Cheers
    Sha

    Sharanga Dayananda, Jul 10, 2004
  14. I can check. I don't think i'm using a demo of the apps. I'm using Media
    Player and Real Player and getting the same thing.

    Nate Rosenthal, Jul 10, 2004
  15. WinDVD and/or PowerDVD used to have a cut out in their demo versions.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Jul 10, 2004
  16. They still do, but I removed Power DVD and Win DVD from the system. In
    fact, I can't even use WinDVD becuase after three days of my 15 day trial it
    said it expired.

    Nate Rosenthal, Jul 10, 2004