    Windows 98SE?

    --- Creative Americas Technical Support

    === message truncated ===

    P Moyst, May 4, 2004

  2. P Moyst

    P Moyst Guest

    Dear P Moyst,

    The CT4760 does not have the capability for passing through AC3 files.
    This function was not built into the Sound Blaster Live sound card,
    until the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card came out.

    For faster service please reply with previous correspondence when
    replying to this email.

    Best Regards

    Doug (10868)
    Technical Support
    Creative Labs Americas

    Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    That is what I already know. And that is not what I
    wanted to hear. I have read other posts on the net
    about the passthrough issue with the Sound Blaster
    Live! Platinum (CT4760) and am pretty sure that along
    with this customer, other customer's expectations are
    not being met and they are not unreasonable. I also
    will quote a part from Solution ID # 8553.

    Our Advice
    Creative continues our commitment to providing
    superior product support with our release of Microsoft
    Windows XP compatible drivers. We have optimized the
    drivers to take maximum advantage of Windows XP
    features, ensuring that you get the maximum value and
    experience from your Creative products. Although
    Windows XP already includes built-in support for most
    Creative products, Creative has further optimized the
    drivers for certain models to take full advantage of
    Microsoft’s next-generation operating system. These
    drivers are available from the links below.

    How do I install and remove drivers for Creative
    products in Windows XP?

    Creative Products not listed here may be supported by
    native Windows XP drivers, otherwise they are
    classified as discontinued products which will not
    have additional driver updates within our software
    development plan.

    Please follow this link to our driver download page
    for your Creative Labs product. There you can try our
    new Creative Software AutoUpdate feature or you can
    select your specific product to see what downloads are
    available.

    Sound Products
    Product
    Sound Blaster Extigy
    Sound Blaster Audigy series
    Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 series
    Sound Blaster Live! (CT4620, CT4670, CT4760)
    Sound Blaster PCI 512
    Sound Blaster PCI 16, Vibra128 and AudioPCI (CT481x,
    CT4740)
    Sound Blaster PCI 128 (CT4700) Supported by native
    Windows XP drivers
    Other Ensoniq Audio Processors Supported by native
    Windows XP drivers
    Sound Blaster AWE series Supported by native Windows
    XP drivers
    Sound Blaster 16 Supported by native Windows XP
    drivers
    <<end quote>>

    To have a Sound Blaster Live!Platinum card, which I
    initially payed almost $300 dollars for in 1999 when
    Sound Blaster 16 was under 50, and have its
    functionality turned to something just slightly better
    than the Sound Blaster 16 because of a supposedly
    better operating system is morally wrong and perhaps
    legally wrong also. This is definitely not "superior
    product support" and you have not "optimized the
    drivers to take maximum advantage of Windows XP
    features, ensuring that get the maximum value and
    experience from [my] Creative product." Creative
    has not "further optimized the drivers for certain
    models to take full advantage of Microsoft’s
    next-generation operating system." i.e. XP

    Please inform me when a driver patch resolving the
    passthrough issue in Windows XP is released.

    P Moyst, May 4, 2004

  3. P Moyst

[...]

    Unfortunately, the CT4760 sound card does not have that option.

    For faster service please reply with previous correspondence when
    replying to this email.

    Best Regards

    Doug (10868)
    Technical Support
    Creative Labs Americas

    Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    Heh Doug

    I know that already. It works. But what I wanted is
    to get passthrough to work i.e. the AC3 bitstream
    passed through my sound card into my decoder and for
    it to be recognized by the Dolby Digital indicator on
    the decoder box as in Winows 98. So far I did not
    come across any option in XP software that allows you
    to do that as with 98. Not even 3rd party software.
    So I know it can work, just need the proper
    driver(s)and application

    Thanks for the reply

    P Moyst, May 4, 2004
  4. P Moyst

    P Moyst Guest

    Dear P Moyst,

    Try using the SPDIF Out on the DXR3 to the SPDIF to the DTT2500
    speakers. Then set the sound setup in the Encore software to AC3.

    For faster service please reply with previous correspondence when
    replying to this email.

    Best Regards

    Doug (10868)
    Technical Support
    Creative Labs Americas

    Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    Well, if it was possible to passthrough the AC3
    bitstream with my card in Win98, it should be possible
    to do with Windows XP. It shouldn't be too difficult
    for the programmers or whoever to give customer
    service its due and come up with a fix - a small file,
    patch or driver update shouldn't be all that hard. I
    don't appreciate false advertising.

    P Moyst, May 4, 2004
  5. P Moyst

    P Moyst Guest

    I apologize for the confusion. It isn't possible to configure your
    card to passthrough or decode 5.1 because you have a non 5.1 SB Live.
    The options that are missing like the 5.1 speaker selection, AC3 Decode,
    and Sampling Rate are only available with Live 5.1 versions of our sound
    cards. The most you can output with your current sound card SB Live
    Platinum CT4760 is 4 speaker surround sound.

    For faster service please reply with previous correspondence when
    replying to this email.

    Best Regards

    Darci (12433)
    Technical Support
    Creative Labs Americas

    Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    --- Creative Americas Technical Support
    Again, I am well aware of this. It was covered
    already.
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my most recent email.
    THIS FEATURE IS NOT PRESENT IN THE SPEAKER
    CONFIGURATION TAB. The only features that are present
    in SURROUND MIXER --> SPEAKERS TAB --> SETTINGS window
    is: the Center Slider, the Subwoofer Volume Slider,
    the Crossover Frequency Slider, respectively AND on
    the bottom: Bass Redirection checkbox; AC3 DECODE
    CHECKBOX IS _NOT_ PRESENT !!!! The SPACE for it is
    there BUT the CHECKBOX GROUP is NOT PRESENT. I have a
    Sound BLaster Live! Platinum NOT Sound Blaster LIve!
    Platinum 5.1!
    Covered already.
    Feature not present to allow me to do so.
    Been there. Done that. Over 100 times already.
    As an adage. My speaker test maxes at 4 speakers,
    there is no 5.1 option I can choose from because I
    have a SOUND BLASTER LIVE! __PLATINUM___ Not PLATINUM
    5.1.
    Been there but CANNOT DO THAT, see above and previous
    correspondences.
    CANNOT DO THAT!!!! THAT BOX does not show up on the
    screen! THAT AREA is EMPTY. ZIP! NADA! BACKGROUND
    COLOR! BLUE! Only the Bass Redirection checbox and
    label that is above where it is supposed to be is
    there.
    Always do this.
    Always on digital output.
    THERE IS NO SAMPLING RATE TAB !!!! -- Something else
    that is missing!
    Doesn't work because PASSTHROUGH doesn't work.
    Been there. Done that. With all common software
    decoders.
    I have that cable already.
    === message truncated ===

    P Moyst, May 4, 2004
  6. P Moyst

    P Moyst Guest

    Please, keep in mind that the software configuration will need to be
    adjusted to make it possible for you to receive Dolby Digital sound and
    you need to be playing a file that is encoded with Dolby Digital 5.1.

    Software Settings that Need to be Configured:
    1. The speaker configuration should be set to 5.1 speakers.
    2. AC3 decode needs to be unchecked.
    3. Digital output only needs to be checked.
    4. Adjust the Sampling Rate setting in Device Controls.
    5. Play a file that is encoded with a 5.1, such as an AC3 file or DVD
    movie (speaker test doesn't test using an AC3 file and will only play 2
    speaker sound).

    SETTING SPEAKER SELECTION TO 5.1
    1. Go to Start >Settings > Control Panel > Audio HQ > Speaker
    2. Set the speaker selection to 5.1

    MAKE SURE SURE AC3 DECODE IS NOT CHECKED
    1. Go to Start >Settings > Control Panel > Audio HQ > Speaker.
    2. Click on the Settings button
    3. Make sure the box AC-3 decode is NOT checked.
    4. Search for a file with an .AC3 extension and test to be sure 5.1
    sound is working.

    ENABLE DIGITAL OUTPUT ONLY
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Audio HQ > Speaker.
    2. In speaker, check digital output only.

    ADJUSTING SAMPLE RATE
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Audio HQ > Device
    Controls..

    2. In device controls, select the sampling rate tab and adjust the
    sampling rate setting.
    (Note: Only adjust sampling rate if you are unable to receive 5.1 by
    configuring the other options.)

    TEST DOLBY DIGITAL USING AN AC3 FILE
    1. Download / Search for a file with an .AC3 extension.
    2. Open this file using PlayCenter.
    3. You should hear sound from all 5 speakers or your receiver will
    indicate that it is receiving a dolby digital signal.

    Note: There are audio options within the DVD software that need to be
    configured for dolby digital passthrough. These options are different
    depending on what software you have. If you need clarification on what
    needs to be enabled or checked, then reply with all the options
    available under Audio properties within your DVD software.

    In addition, you should be connecting via an 1/8 inch mono male to
    digital RCA male cable to properly carry the AC3 stream. If you do not
    have this cable, then you can purchase one for $6.99 (not including
    shipping and applicable taxes). If you would like to order this cable,
    then reply with the following information.

    Name:
    Address:
    City, State, ZIP :
    Phone number - Day :
    Phone number - Eve :
    Email Address:

    Please, do not reply with payment method. I will contact you via phone
    for payment information and preferred shipping method. At that time, I
    will also verify the shipping address and give you your order number.

    For faster service please reply with previous correspondence when
    replying to this email.

    Best Regards

    Darci (12433)
    Technical Support
    Creative Labs Americas

    Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    Darci

    Unfortunately, the only way that AC3 bitstream works IS with the DXR3.
    I have now removed that card. PASS-THROUGH(soft-decode) defined in
    your support base website for AC3 does not work. It worked for 98.
    But doesn't for XP. What drivers can I use for my card to GET it to
    work.

    Again my equipment from YOUR company:
    Sound Blaster Live! PLATINUM (Model CT4760) NOT 5.1 -
    1999 release
    Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 DTT2500
    Digital (the one with the AC3 decoder - the said
    "external decoder) [1999 release]
    PC-DVD Encore 8X with DXR3 [1999 release] (now REMOVED from my
    computer - the DVD-ROM replace with YOUR Creative
    DVD+/- 8X Dual [2003 release], the DXR3 just removed and PCI slot
    subsequently freed).

    Now, lets here the solution! Is there a line in the
    Registry I can change to get the AC3 Decode checkbox
    to show up in Speaker settings? Or any other way to
    trick the computer to think I have the Platinum 5.1? I
    assume that the "passthrough" is DISABLED in XP by
    default (it must be). Is there any direct or
    roundabout way I can ENABLE it somehow? I am open to
    any official or non-official suggestions!

    --- Creative Americas Technical Support
    <<I apologize if this has caused you any
    inconvenience.>>

    Unfortunately, apologies are not getting my PASSTHROUGH to work.
    === message truncated ===

    P Moyst, May 4, 2004
  7. P Moyst

    P Moyst Guest

    Unfortunately, the DXR3 is not supported under Windows XP because the
    only download drivers and software for Windows XP are beta. I
    apologize if this has caused you any inconvenience.

    For faster service please reply with previous correspondence when
    replying to this email.

    Best Regards

    Darci (12433)
    Technical Support
    Creative Labs Americas

    Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------

    Please see responses inside.

    --- Creative Americas Technical Support
    <<Dear P,

    Thank you for contacting Creative Technical Support.
    It appears you have connected the DTT2500 to the
    Dxr3.>>

    Thank you for your prompt reply. I investigated the
    problem further since I sent you the last email. It
    appears that the _only_ way I can get AC3/Dolby
    Digital to work on my Creative Cambridge Soundworks
    DTT 5.1 2500 Digital (as confirmed by the "Dolby
    Digital" LED in the on state on the front of the DTT
    2500 "decoder/amplifier", and, the AC3Test.VOB file
    from Dolby giving correct results (5 discrete channels
    + LFE)) is by using "hard decode" on the dxr3 mpeg-2
    decoder card, i.e., when I connect the RCA-to-RCA
    cable, which is called the "Dolby Digital (AC-3) Audio
    S/PDIF cable" in the Creative dxr3 decoder card
    manual, from the "Dolby Digital (AC-3) Audio S/PDIF
    jack" on the back of the dxr3 card (in the form of an
    RCA plug output) to the RCA input plug ("Dolby Digital
    AC-3 SPDIF In") on the desktop DTT2500
    "decoder/amplifier". It seems that Windows XP Home
    Edition allows the stream/signal to "passthrough" the
    dxr3 card to the "decoder/amplifier" via the RCA-RCA
    cable so that the DTT 2500 properly outputs Dolby
    Digital when appropriate (i.e. using a file or DVD
    with AC3/Dolby Digital content).

    <<I would like you to try connecting the DTT2500
    directly to the soundcard instead. First of all,
    please remove the Dxr3 from the PCI slot.>>

    Before I do that, I want you to read the rest of this
    reply and then we can decide to continue with removing
    the dxr3 card.

    <<Next, get an adaptor from Customer Service if it did
    not come with your speaker set. This adaptor has a
    digital stereo jack on one end and the other end
    splits into both an RCA jack and a Din connector.

    The 1/8th inch plug should go into the Digital Output
    on the sound card (yellow or orange in color, or the
    jack farthest from the fire wire port on the Audigy or
    the game port on the Live! 5.1 card). The din
    connector would go into the din on the speakers. The
    RCA jack needs to connect to Dolby Digial/AC3 input
    on the speakers.>>

    Yes. The adaptor you refer too (referred to as a
    Y-adaptor) is already connected exactly as you
    described above. I always used that connection only
    both win I had WIN 98SE and now with WIN XP Home
    Edition. I never used the tandem audio cable (in the
    form of minijack plugs) to connect the analog audio
    outputs (Line Out and Rear Out) to the Line In and
    Rear In, respectively, to the back of the DTT 2500
    decoder/amplifier. The SPDIF DIN cable (whose ends
    are red for mine) was always connected. The input
    switch on the back of the decoder/amplifier is always
    on "Auto" and not "Analog". The 1/8 inch plug on my
    y-adaptor is yellow and is connected to the "jack
    farthest away from my gameport" (what the manual for
    my model CT4760 of Sound Blaster Live! Platinum calls
    the "Digital out jack") on my Sound Blaster Live!
    Platinum card. Remember, this is not a Sound Blaster
    Live! Platinum 5.1 (the model which may be CT4860)

    <<Make sure you have digital output selected:

    1. Go to Start > Programs > Creative > SB Live >
    Surround Mixer
    2. Click on the (+) above the main volume control.
    3. Make sure there is a check next to "Use Digital
    Output Only">>

    I always had this box checked on.

    <<DISABLE AC3 DECODING
    1. Go to Start > Programs > Sound Blaster Live >
    Audigy HQ > Speakers > Advanced or Settings button.
    2. Click on the small dot underneath "AC3 Decode"
    (some versions will have a check box) so that the AC3
    option is either Unchecked, or is grey in color.>>

    This is where I start running into the problem. I
    downloaded from your site installed the
    LiveDriveUni-Pack(ENG).exe release 28 Feb 2003 23.32MB
    SBLW-XPWEB-W4-US when I bought Windows XP Home Edition
    and this seemed to "take away" the "ac3 passthrough"
    ability for the Sound Blaster Live! Platinum that
    functioned previously in Windows 98 SE. I just
    acquired the Creative DVD+/-RW 8X Dual recently,
    before that I used the PC DVD Encore 8X Drive that
    came with the dxr3 card in Windows 98 SE environment.
    The Creative PC-DVD Player application that came with
    the Encore 8x package had an radio button option under
    advanced audio for "AC3 passthrough". When I chose
    this, the "passthrough" feature worked properly (i.e.
    I could disconnect the RCA output end of the jack from
    the dxr3 card which "hard decoded" and connect it to
    the Y-adaptor you described above to the RCA plug on
    the split end connected to the Digital Out Jack of the
    Live! Platinum and, behold, have the Dolby Digital
    single reach the decoder/amplifier unmolested,
    therefore lighting up the Dolby Digital LED for media
    with AC3 content and get 5.1 surround as tested by the
    AC3Test.VOB file). The passthrough also worked with
    other DVD player applications also in 98 SE.
    Successful "soft decode" took place!

    Now, with Windows XP Home Edition, the PC-DVD player
    is different and does not allow you to choose a
    "passthrough" option, just "AC3" that you must "hard
    decode" (i.e. connect the RCA cable to the output of
    the dxr3 card). The software that came with the
    Creative DVD+/- 8X Dual Drive, Nero Media Showtime,
    does not allow "passthrough" either. Therefore, I
    still cannot "soft-decode" AC3/Dolby Digital Signal
    under Windows XP Home Edition.

    Another part of this problem: The updated drivers,
    according to your website, that I installed only
    allowed three speaker setup options; 4 speaker, 2
    speaker, headphone. This makes sense since the CT4760
    does not have a AC3/Dolby Digital functionality
    "onboard" like the Platinum Live 5.1 and the Audigy
    does, and therefore requires an external
    amplifier/decoder such as my DTT 2500. What doesn't
    make sense is why "passthrough/soft decode" (diff.
    from bypass) works in Win 98SE but not in Windows XP
    Home Edition.

    PS: In the speakers control applet you describe above,
    I do not have "AC3 decode" option. So technically, I
    cannot "disable AC3 decoding" in this applet. And the
    only way I can access the area I think you mean (since
    I do not have "Audigy HQ", just "Audio HQ" with
    Creative logo on its side on the side of the window)
    is by this method in the "Audio HQ" Window --> "set
    multimedia devices toolbar button" or click "view" in
    the menu bar and trace to "Multimedia Properties..."
    and there are volume, sounds, audio, voice, and
    hardware tabs in a "Sounds and Audio Devices
    Properties" window. Under volume tab it reports Live!
    SB Live! Audio [A800]--there is nothing there that
    says anything about "AC3" nor "Dolby Digital". When I
    click "Advanced..." under "Speaker Settings" in this
    tab it only gives me a drop down box of various
    speaker set-up options. Still nothing on "AC3" nor
    "Dolby Digital" (There is also a performance tab there
    that does not mention anything on these either). I
    tried all the options there already to try and get
    passthrough.

    PPS: When I go to the "surround mixer" under Audio HQ
    in the control panel (in advanced mode) the speakers
    section on top (with EAX underneath it in tab fashion)
    only allows 3 options: 4 speakers, 2 speakers,
    headphones. When I go to the settings button, all
    that is there is three slider controls for "Center
    Speaker Volume", "Subwoofer Volume", and Crossover
    Frequency" respectively, and a check box for "Bass
    Redirection". I cannot enable or change any of these
    settings, the graphical controls do not respond to the
    mouse.

    <<When you are playing a signal that is 5.1
    encoded(AC3 encoded), you will need to select the
    speaker input to Dolby Digital/ AC3 on the speakers
    themselves.>>

    The DTT 2500 desktop amplifier/decoder has a "Dolby
    surround" button that only allows switching between
    "Digital In" and "Analog In" LEDs underneath a "Pro
    Logic" lable. The "Dolby Digital" LED (to the
    immediate left of the Prologic LEDS) cannot be
    controlled by a button per se, but lights only when it
    detects an AC3 signal. It serves as a verification
    for the same.

    <<When you are playing a signal that is not 5.1
    encoded such as music or most games, set the speaker
    input to DIN on the speakers.>>

    I am way ahead of ya on this one ;).

    PS: The "Device Controls" applet (which, again,
    mentions nothing on AC3 nor Dolby Digital)has two
    options in the Digital Input tab: SPDIF Bypass and
    default, which doesn't seem to make a difference when
    "hard-decoding" AC3 (i.e. connecting the RCA SPDIF to
    the dxr3). I think I had to set this to bypass in
    98SE along with passthrough in PC-DVD player to get
    "soft-decoding" to work (i.e. using the Y adapter on
    the Digital Out jack to connect the RCA-RCA cable to
    the external decoder or the SPDIF out jack on the
    Live!Drive to connect the RCA-RCA cable to the
    external decoder).

    <<For faster service please reply with previous
    correspondences when replying to this email.

    Best Regards

    Goh Toh Siong
    Technical Support
    Creative Labs Americas>>

    Thanks Goh, I appreciate your time. Looking forward
    to pinning this thing down together.

    P Moyst, May 4, 2004
  8. P Moyst

    P Moyst Guest

    Dear P,

    Thank you for contacting Creative Technical Support.
    It appears you have connected the DTT2500 to the Dxr3. I would like you
[...]

    For faster service please reply with previous correspondences when
    replying to this email.

    Best Regards

    Goh Toh Siong
    Technical Support
    Creative Labs Americas

    Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    =======================

    Subject: CLI - Technical Support Request
    Name: P Moyst
    E-mail Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Self Description: ID(2) Intermediate PC User
    Country: Canada
    ------------------
    Support Inquiry: ID(1) I am installing or using the product for the
    first time
    Product: Creative DVD±RW DUAL 8X
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows XP
    Creative Model Number: DR8420E
    Computer Brand/Model: ASUS TUA266
    Processor/CPU: Socket 370 Intel P3 Tualtin 1.13G
    Memory: 256MB
    BIOS Type/Revision: AWARD ACPI REVISION 1004
    System Board/Chipset: ALi Alladin Pro 5
    ------------------

    Detailed Problem Description:
    I removed my Creative 8x PC DVD ROM (Model 8400E)
    and left the dxr3 decoder card that came with it installed. I
    replaced the that DVD ROM with a Creative 8x DVD+/-
    Dual (DR8420E). I updated all my drivers for my Sound
    Blaster Live! Platinum CT4760 for Windows XP. I updated
    all my drivers for my Dxr3 decoder card for Windows XP as
    well as PC-DVD Player for Windows XP. My speaker
    system is a Cambridge SoundWorks DTT2500 Digital 5.1
    that has a built in AC3 decoder (via SPDIF connection). I
    cannot get 5.1 sound working for DVD movies with Dolby
    Digital either using my SPDIF bypass setting under Device
    controls in AudioHQ nor through the "Default" setting by
    connecting the spdif cable to the dxr3. The Dolby Digital
    indicator light on the front panel of the decoder box does
    not light.

    HOW DO I GET DOLBY DIGITAL WORKING UNDER
    WINDOWS XP?

    P Moyst, May 4, 2004