Creator 3D card substitutes for SUN Ultra 10

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by thick_guy_9, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. thick_guy_9

    thick_guy_9 Guest

    Guys
    I bought an Ultra 10. I guess the seller cheated me, as one PCI slot is
    empty and the label on the box says Creator 3D is included.

    QUESTION 1: IF I somehow buy/get hold of a Creator 3D card, do I need
    to buy a 13w3 to VGA adaptor to be able to connect to a standard x86
    monitor?

    QUESTION 2: Are there any substitute PCI graphics cards, I can buy from
    the local computer store AND have Solaris 10 auto detect it at the time
    of installation?

    QUESTION 3: Can I just use the VGA port on the Ultra 10 and use CDE?
    Will I get 3D graphics (whatever it means)?

    I bought it to study Solaris and wonder if with a 440Mhz proc and 512
    MB RAM, it will be good enough to run Solaris 10 smoothly, display my
    study materials in PDFs and play MP3s.

    rgds,

    thick_guy_9, Aug 7, 2006

  2. thick_guy_9

    llothar Guest

    I bought an Ultra 10. I guess the seller cheated me, as one PCI slot is
    Creator is not a PCI card, it's an UPA card.
    I bought a XVR-500 but it does not work in an Ultra-10 i doubt that any
    XVR will work inside the Ultra-10.
    Extremely slow, even for 2D and pure software 3D support.
    You need external boxes for MP3. And reading PDF with this slow onboad
    will not be a pleasure. Use a PC and connect via ssh or serial to your
    U10 box.

    llothar, Aug 7, 2006

  3. The "UPA" slot, that is.
    It also has a mediocre on-board graphics card.
    Yes. No 3D.
    That would work just fine.

    But so would a low-end newish PC (preferrably wit nVidia graphics)

    Casper

    Casper H.S. Dik, Aug 7, 2006
  4. thick_guy_9

    james Guest

    no acceleration. it does do [email protected], but only 16bit at 1600x1200 :(
    i'm running Solaris 10 on my 333mhz Ultra10 Creator. same situation
    i suppose about the video, mine didn't have the creator card when i got
    it either, but rather 2 high res (2048x1536) b/w cards for the MRI
    machine it was hooked to... not much good looking at a b/w display, so
    i'm just using the onboard ATI.
    as far as "learning" solaris, i started on a SparcStation 2 with
    Solaris 7... talk about painful!

    james, Aug 8, 2006
  5. thick_guy_9

    llothar Guest

    No the onboard graphics is 1280x1024 with 8 bit.
    Only 1024x768 is 24bit.

    llothar, Aug 8, 2006
  6. Eh? External boxes? Ultra-10s have audio onboard and a CPU more than
    capable of playing them, so what external boxes would one need other
    than speakers/headphones?

    Andre van Eyssen, Aug 11, 2006
  7. You could fit a lot of xterms on that much screen estate.
    2.5.1, SPARCstation IPC...

    Andre van Eyssen, Aug 11, 2006
  8. thick_guy_9

    james Guest

    the Nvidia card (cheapy 32mb PCI) on my FreeBSD box can do 2048... even
    on a 22" monitor and Eterm set to it's largest font you still can't read
    anything. 1600x1200 is as small as i can see easily :) (no wonder i
    need glasses)

    --
    - - james <at> hal-pc.org - -

    Work harder!