    have been fitted to a gigantic number of computers all of which had
    identical connectors? (It is black but I am not particularly insistent on
    keeping to the black color scheme)

    news.rcn.com, Apr 26, 2007

  2. news.rcn.com

    S.Lewis Guest

    I count (3) on this page, though I didn't view any of them:
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=Inspiron+4000+LCD&category0=

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 26, 2007

  3. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    Yes, that is pretty much what I was trying to avoid: People parting out
    computers seem to want as much for the screen as a whole non-working
    computer with a working screen brings on ebay. Which is why I was widening
    my search

    BTW I managed to get the Inspiron number wrong as aficionados will have
    noticed:

    I don't think there was a 3500 with a 15 inch screen: Mine is a 5000

    Is there any way of cross-referencing the screen or will (the hinges on)
    pretty much ANY 15 inch screen fit onto this computer?

    news.rcn.com, Apr 27, 2007
  4. news.rcn.com

    S.Lewis Guest

    Ouch. Well, that particular LCD came in 3 or 4 different flavors, including
    one of their first UXGA screens.(Also two models, the 5000 and 5000e)

    First thing you can do for a chuckle (and maybe a part number) is to call
    Dell spare parts
    (1-800-357-3355) and ask the price of the replacement part from them. They
    probably have at least (3) part numbers ( XGA, SXGA, and UXGA) that would be
    helpful for reference. Be prepared to fall out of your chair at the price.

    Secondly, ebay can actually help with reference information. Drill down on
    several of the listings and you'll see *alleged* multiple models that use
    the same screen along with some specific part numbers:

    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=Inspiron+5000+LCD+15"&category0=

    (example)

    a.. Dell Inspiron 1000 Series, 1100, 1150, 1200, 2200, 2500, 2600, 2650,
    5000, 5000e, 5100, 510M, 5150, 5160, 7000, 7500, 8000, 8100
    a.. Dell Latitude 100L, 110L, C800, D505, D510, D520, V505

    Since you're trying awfully hard to save your machine, some thorough phoning
    and e-mailing should produce a few common Dell part numbers you can use.

    Good luck.

    S.Lewis, Apr 27, 2007
  5. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    Many thanks for your response but I am more concerned with getting a screen
    working in the computer as inexpensively as possible rather than worrying
    about which particular screen was actually in it, if you see my meaning! (I
    dont remember which one it was though the video driver was an ATI Mobility P
    according to the Dell site: Which lists the unit as an XP unit whereas
    interestingly they sent it out with a sticker showing 98SE on it) I had done
    some of the research you mention but wondered if Quanta just put pretty much
    this exact slightly curious hinge and catch configuration in whole serieses
    of computers, all of which had (or have) the same wire going from the screen
    to the mobo in the same length. I know that Apple for example emphatically
    don't do this and although there are around three suppliers of any
    particular screen at any time, no screen is interchangeable between ranges.
    There again, Apple isn't made at the same factory as gigantic numbers of
    other computers and it seems they do this intentionally to prevent people
    from repairing their computers too easily and without paying them a gigantic
    fortune.

    This is the sort of information I was looking for: there seem to be distinct
    RANGES of computers here. If I look for identical numbers of computers, the
    search could take forever!

    Behind all this I have this sneaking suspicion that the factory is geared up
    in such a way that they simply cant produce large numbers of different parts
    and that they just have one screen assembly which goes on all computers of
    certain types which take a 15 inch screen.

    To support this theory, if you look at the Inspiron 5000 from the side, the
    screen doesn't actually fit the base: The size doesn't look correct. It
    LOOKS as if they produced a screen and just bolted it onto the computer when
    someone ordered one with a 15 incher becasue the hinges and catch are in the
    right place..

    news.rcn.com, Apr 27, 2007
  6. news.rcn.com

    S.Lewis Guest

    Rich -

    And all I'm attempting to respectfully say is that if you know the actual
    part number of the LCD, it might help you in cross-referencing an entire
    assembly that would work from ebay (including the latch, etc.)

    For example, there are probably far more listings for i1000/1100 models out
    there and more cheaply as well since they both were budget systems -
    something the i5000 was not when new.

    I suppose you've run the system tag over at the Dell support site and peeked
    at the "original system configuration" tab? Should be a part or assy.
    number there to help begin the search.

    If none of this info., is helpful............well......I tried. g

    Happy hunting.

    S.Lewis, Apr 27, 2007
  7. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    I hope I am not giving the impression that I am ungrateful to you for your
    help: No one else seemed to know the answer. The problem is that the
    methods didn't seem to work. I was hoping someone would have known about
    that curious two--side-catch arrangement on the 5000 and the similar ones
    which you mentioned such as the 8100 don't have this. They have the central
    catch. I perhaps SHOULD call Dell for the part number for the catch
    assembly and then try to cross reference it but I was hoping someone would
    know and Dell are SO difficult to deal with. Every call becomes an ordeal
    with them demanding all sorts of personal information just to get advice.
    And if they find that someone else at your firm registered the computer in
    their name before it went back into the pool when they left, they might well
    hang up on you completely and waste all time spent on the phone. They have
    done this once to me already on another computer so I was hoping.........

    news.rcn.com, Apr 28, 2007
  8. news.rcn.com

    paulmd Guest

    My experiences with screen replacements on a pair of inspiron 5000s
    were that even though they had the same model number, the screens were
    not quite compatible. (they worked, but the latches would line up, so
    the screen wouldn't fold down)

    If you ever DO come across a real dell screen compatibility database,
    I would very much like it too.

    I do happen to have recently pulled a screen from a dead Inspiron
    5000e, that I don't know if it works. (the machine wouldn't power on,
    I THINK the screen is OK)

    Contact me privately if interested.

    d i e t r i c p at n e x t s t e p r e c y c l i n g dot o r g

    paulmd, Apr 29, 2007