    not work!

    Thank you,
    Mike

    Michael Davis, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Michael Davis

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Hmm, let me guess.
    You've put a switch into the middle, and stuck it up the arse of a
    patent lawyer.
    Oh my god.

    Do they let people this stupid out in the street?

    I bet this perp thinks impedance means pissing on an ant-hill.

    Ian Stirling, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Hey, that's nothing, at CompUSA they are selling a retractable "Cat-5"
    (I use the term VERY loosely) cable. I looked closely -- it's straight
    ribbon cable, not twisted pair. I guess that they figure that they can
    get away with it because of the length (4 ft.).

    A solution that I do like for carrying in my laptop bag is a "junction
    block" I got for $3 that has a female RJ45 on one end and a male RJ45 on
    the other end and it converts a standard Cat-5 cable to a crossover
    cable (or vice-versa). Since it's only about an inch long, it's
    internal wiring isn't much of an issue. Only problem is, while I got 3
    of them, I can't remember where I got them ! I thought it was
    Computer-Gate or PI Manufacturing, but I have not been able to find them
    again at either place.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Ian,

    I just wanted to say that it is disturbing that you would bash the
    work of someone you do not know without even knowing our design or
    opening one of our units. It looks like you even started typing your
    response before looking at the product. Negative attitudes like yours
    do not help anyone (or even yourself). If you were one to really be
    concerned with impedance, you would read something like this simple
    guide: www.epanorama.net/documents/wiring/cable_impedance.html, or you
    would have written us directly as we requested. I will no longer
    respond to you as I will not participate in Usenet arguments.
    If anyone else has any comments or questions, please write us at the
    address listed at http://www.info-services.net/cable

    We are interested in your comments and questions.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Michael Davis, Dec 4, 2003
  5. Michael Davis

    P.T. Breuer Guest

    Are you talking about that silly double-headed cable? What a lot of old
    rubbish! Talk about low-end technology! Have you got stone-age
    villagers in java working for you, patching in the extra wire and
    applying the sticky tape?

    What's wrong with a simple electronic switch mid-cable? You can put
    a 1-1 transceiver in there in a bump the size of a sixpence.o

    Even better, put in a bluetooth dongle that converts ethernet to
    serial, and plug in the receiving end anywhere you like. Mode switch
    done by software.

    I've never seen such an awful unimaginative badly finished "product"
    as that which you espouse in your web page! It's ridiculous. You ought
    to be ashamed. Call that a product? I call it a pair of ethernet cables
    stuck together with sticky tape.

    Peter

    P.T. Breuer, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Michael Davis

    Ian Stirling Guest

    My basic problem is that it shows a fundamental lack of knowledge.

    If a signal is sent down a cable, if the end is not terminated properly,
    it will bounce back.
    This causes distortion, and can cause data errors.

    There are very strict cabling requirements for Cat5 cables, for a reason.

    Ian Stirling, Dec 7, 2003
  7. Michael Davis

    Barry OGrady Guest

    I got;
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /cable/ on this server.

    Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.info-services.net Port 80

    What is the correct url?

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Michael Davis

    Phil Guest

    Looks like we don't have a "need to know". Same result here.

    Phil

    Phil, Dec 8, 2003
  9. Peter (and others),
    I appreciate your comments (although their delivery was
    questionable). We do have several other cable designs available that
    do the same thing, some of which include ideas that you have mentioned
    (and deal more delicately with the situations that Ian has mentioned).
    Unfortunately, the cost of manufacturing these other designs is such
    that the pricing of the cable would be prohibitive. This is why we
    chose this design in the end. Although it is not as elegant as the
    other designs, it is the only one that is cost effective. Even then,
    the manufacturing cost is still much higher than a regular ethernet
    cable. If anyone has a means for manufacturing one of the more
    elegant designs in such a manner that the final product can be sold
    for less than $20.00, I am very interested in including your help in
    the project.
    It is odd that so many people can make posts such as these in the
    public forum, but no one has contacted us with e-mail to truly assist
    in our real problem, which is *cost of manufacturing*. I know many of
    you are scientists and perhaps that is why you vent in this manner
    (rather than being truly constructive), but in reference to our
    current design...you should test it rather than talk theory. We will
    offer you a free cable if you provide a detailed test report and truly
    work with us rather than simply talking and bashing in the Usenet.

    Mike

    P.S. Regardless of your tone (and bashing), I still appreciate your
    consideratioin and comments!

    Michael Davis, Dec 8, 2003
  10. http://www.info-services.net/cable
    is the correct URL.

    Maintenance was probably being performed on the site at the time you connected.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Michael Davis, Dec 8, 2003
  11. Michael Davis

    Barry OGrady Guest

    What are you trying to acheive?
    What is the proper url for the cable?

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Dec 8, 2003
  12. Michael Davis

    Barry OGrady Guest

    It does work now.
    However, I can't see the point of such a cable. Surely if there was a mismatch an adapter
    would be simpler. Your solution is untidy and inefficient.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Dec 9, 2003
  13. We have found some kind individuals who are willing to actually test
    the cable and provide us with results. For the record, none of those
    who have posted negative comments about it have actually laid hands on
    it or seen it in real life. The cables being tested are 3 meters in
    length.

    From Ian Stirling:
    The cable is currently being "terabyte tested". If a terabyte of data
    is sent through it and verified using standard equipment, then we will
    say that it has passed the test "without causing data errors". In the
    real world, this means more than Ian's statement saying it "can cause
    data errors". When was the last time you transferred a terabyte?

    From P.T. Breuer:
    For the record, we have other cable designs that you can purchase if
    you are unsatisfied with our main model. We have worked hard over our
    models and we (the creators and manufacturers) have determined that
    this design is the best for general use. Our advanced cable design
    has already been tested to be able to support more than 35 kilograms
    of weight. That is more than two desktop computers weigh. It is the
    ONLY cost effective solution to this problem involving a single
    shock-resistant unit. If a customer manages to damage this cable, we
    would love to hear how it was done!

    Keep checking http://www.info-services.net/cable to look for the
    results of the terabyte testing.

    Regards,
    Mike

    Michael Davis, Dec 10, 2003
  14. Michael Davis

    Joe McArthur Guest

    (Michael Davis) wrote in
    What about the delivery are you questioning? This is Usenet. It's a place
    where ideas are exchanged freely. Because those ideas come from, and are
    delivered by, people of all kinds and persuations, expecting to receive
    only positive, warm and fuzzy responses is extremely naive.

    [snip]
    Not odd at all. What's odd to me is that "you people", whoever you are,
    would try to publicize your product (and I use the word loosely) in this
    place and expect anyone to actually take you seriously. Practically all
    advertisements for "products" and/or "services" that appear in serious
    discussion forums such as this one are strictly from spammers. Consider
    this: how many reputable companies do you know of, that offer real products
    and services, advertise their wares in Usenet discussion groups?
    Could it be because (1) it's *your* problem to solve, and/or (2) no one
    thinks your problem/product is all that interesting or novel (i.e. it's
    already been done better)?
    There are many reasons why people, not just scientists and other tech saavy
    folks, vent in public forums. Believe me, you are not special or unique in
    any way. Here's a news flash for you ... in general, with various
    exceptions (e.g. humanitarian aid, counseling, etc.), people don't work for
    free. Now if you offer up some hard cash, maybe you could get a few
    qualified people to help you out.

    [snip]

    Joe McArthur, Dec 11, 2003
  15. The free exchange of ideas does not have to exclude courtesy. Face to
    face disagreements may not include warm and fuzzy responses, but they
    have much more courtesy than some who misuse the Usenet. Why do you
    think that is?
    Spammers usually use hundreds of messages, fake contact information,
    and often do not reply. This creation was made by laptop users for
    laptop users, and it was suggested that this was a place to present
    it. It is odd that people with no interest would waste their time by
    responding.
    There was a time (and perhaps it is still now, but not in this current
    newsgroup or in this current thread) where qualified people do help
    each other for free. There also exist people who offer their direct
    help for cash for real, with an e-mail or phone contact, rather than
    simply bashing. Wouldn't that be more profitable for *both* parties
    than simple lip-service (finger-service?) Maybe I'm on a different
    side of the world or country from you.

    Mike

    Michael Davis, Dec 11, 2003
  16. Michael Davis

    P.T. Breuer Guest

    I have a global interest in seeing that sham products do not go on the
    market and hoodwink people who know no better. What's the problem with
    a proper transceiver with a switch for uplink connection? Or a properly
    designed bluetooth or wireless pair? The pair of cables patched
    together with duct tape that shows up on the website is an afront to
    engineering design.
    Consider yourself helped. Redesign it *properly*. Throw away that awful
    non-idea and plug in some real ideas, preferably involving technology
    more advanced than a cable patch.

    Peter

    P.T. Breuer, Dec 11, 2003