    processing words, mailing e's and playing a few simple games.
    Whichever I use, I will probably go to a total of 512 mb.
    Thx, sdlomi

    sdlomi, Nov 9, 2003

  2. sdlomi

    Andrew Guest

    For your uses, I don't think the difference would be very noticeable.
    Faster memory comes into its own with more complex games.

    Andrew, Nov 9, 2003

  3. sdlomi

    Kyle Brant Guest

    FWIW, I run my pc2100 256 meg cl2.5 stick from Crucial at 166 speed,
    had to tweak memory settings a bit for stability, but it works just
    fine.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    | I'm using Crucial 2100 DDR, 256 mb. Would I notice performance
    | improvement if I replaced with Crucial DDR 2700? My mobo is the
    A7N8X "New

    Kyle Brant, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Short answer: no - don't bother buying new RAM until you buy a faster CPU.

    Long answer: Your current RAM and CPU run at the same bus speed: 133MHz.
    DDR 2700 RAM runs at 166MHz. [It can run slower, too, but why the heck
    would you do *that*? :-] Based on the benchmarks I've seen, you get a
    negligible performance boost at best from running your RAM asynchronously
    (i.e., faster than your FSB speed), and sometimes take a performance *hit*,
    due to synchronization issues. So I would hold off on upgrading your RAM
    until you upgrade your CPU too.

    William Barnes, Nov 20, 2003
  5. sdlomi

    Doug Ramage Guest

    Possibly.

    I am using PC3200 with my XP 2100, but my board won't go above 185Mhz FSB
    (standard cooling).

    Doug Ramage, Nov 20, 2003