    outermost cache, which in this case is running at FSB
    hence pretty sluggish compared to internal cache.
    Is this so?

    Anne Onime, Sep 15, 2010

  2. Anne Onime

    Paul Guest

    There are some benchmarking utilities, that draw a curve of
    bandwidth versus test transfer size. The inflection points
    in the curve, tell you the size of the various caches. You can
    use a tool that runs this kind of curve, and look to see
    how many levels of cache are present.

    http://www.techimo.com/images/img2/hornetxp/cache.png

    There were a few motherboards, back in that era, that
    shipped with "empty" or "duff" cache on the motherboard.
    Someone actually had the nerve to solder chips on the
    motherboard, with no silicon die inside them. The result
    would be, a missing level of caching.

    *******

    This is another one of the cache benchmarking utilities.

    RightMark Memory Analyzer v3.8 (available in RAR archive or as EXE)

    http://cpu.rightmark.org/download.shtml

    http://cpu.rightmark.org/download/rmma38bin.rar

    It gives pretty nice looking graphs. The processors here here
    have two levels of cache. The fun part of the tool, is
    getting the graph as a .bmp later. You use the "results"
    tab, it delivers tabular data on the screen, but there is a
    button to click to save as .bmp . And then you can have your
    very own graph like this.

    http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/rmma/p3/p3m_mmx_bw.gif

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 15, 2010