Crytek: Next-Gen Console Hardware Locked Down Next Year, Out In2012-2013, Epic Agrees

Discussion in 'ATI' started by parallax-scroll, Sep 20, 2009.

  1. During the AMD Vision event, we got the opportunity to talk to Mike
    Gamble, manager of CryTek's Engine Licensing Business. In a discussion
    that spanned from different APIs to challenges in adopting new
    platform.

    Due to expansion from a PC-only to a multi-platform engine, CryTek
    scored several new customers. At present time, CryTek has more
    thandozen oflicensees, who will all utilize the next-generation
    CryEngine3. CryEngine 3 is set to debut next month [October], and
    there areloads of projects that will utilize that engine, especially
    fewsurprises for the consoles.

    On the pictures in this article, you can see the demo of the engine
    running DirectX 9 build, expandable with DirectX 10, 10.1 and 11
    extensions - depending on the adoption by the licensee. Thus, we'll
    refrain from commenting on the obligatory ATI's "DirectX 11 Gaming"
    cardboard, because the information there wasn't correct.

    Mike told us that the capabilities of DirectX9 [when properly
    optimized] are brilliant for customers that want to develop a title
    for current generation of consoles and PCs. The customers that are
    targeting next-generation console cycle and the PC should build upon
    the strengths of DirectX 11 API, given that most of next-generation
    console hardware will be locked down sometime next year, and pushed
    out in 2012-2013 frame. We got the same feedback from Epic in the
    matter of Unreal Engine 4, and the time will tell can CryTek develop
    into a successful engine developer as well. So far, the work on Crysis
    2 is progressing with more impact on gameplay than ever before.

    Our take is that CryEngine 3 simply blew our minds with the realistic
    water physics and effects on the "camera" viewpoint... it was really
    interesting to feel the immersion effect, so the guys and girls in
    CryTek are looking good to win the award for the best looking water of
    them all.

    http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/9/11/cryteks-cryengine-30-set-to-debut-next-month.aspx

    parallax-scroll, Sep 20, 2009

  2. parallax-scroll

    Miles Bader Guest

    Geez, that sounds like a press-release...

    -miles

    Miles Bader, Sep 20, 2009

  3. LOL.

    parallax-scroll, Sep 20, 2009
  4. parallax-scroll

    ksdj1 Guest

    Where's that ONLIVE bs in all of this?

    Didn't they say Crysis was running?

    Yeah sure ok

    ksdj1, Sep 20, 2009
  5. parallax-scroll

    alMIGHTY Guest

    Amen! Xbox 720 in 2012? I'm down with that.

    alMIGHTY, Sep 21, 2009
  6. parallax-scroll

    alMIGHTY Guest

    Which is why we need another console generation to start sooner rather
    than later! I take back my previous message in this thread! 2011,
    gentlemen... please!
    It doesn't seem like there are very many of those on any platform
    besides the DS.

    alMIGHTY, Sep 21, 2009
  7. parallax-scroll

    alMIGHTY Guest

    I tried to warn you way back when not to get your hopes up for that
    bullshit...

    alMIGHTY, Sep 21, 2009
  8. parallax-scroll

    alMIGHTY Guest

    LOL. Imagine trying to play an entire game like that.

    alMIGHTY, Sep 21, 2009
  9. parallax-scroll

    Mitch Guest

    It would work for chess. :)

    Mitch, Sep 21, 2009
  10. parallax-scroll

    Memnoch Guest

    Return of the Red Ring of Death Part 2 Amended.

    Memnoch, Sep 21, 2009
  11. I would be very surprised if Microsoft didn't take their time to make
    sure something like that didn't happen again.

    The alMIGHTY N, Sep 21, 2009
  12. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    ATI's drivers aren't that much of a problem these days. For the most
    part, both ATI's and Nvidia's drivers are just "cheat engines", where
    they detect which game you're playing and they setup the video
    parameters properly for each game. So there's always a new Catalyst or
    Geforce driver a few months down the road that will update the support
    for any problems in any particular game.

    As for DirectX 11, it's only an issue if you're running Windows Vista or
    Windows 7. DirectX 9 is what runs on XP and it'll never be updated.
    That's why games still have a DirectX 9 mode. The features that set
    DirectX 10, 10.1, and 11 apart from 9 are turned off in XP. It's much
    like disabling graphics features in a game to get better game play.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 22, 2009
  13. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    I'd be very surprised if Microsoft did fix it for the next time. Why
    break a tradition now?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 22, 2009
  14. I would also prefer the next console generation start next holiday
    season but I know that's not happening so I'm aiming for the next
    logical date. :)

    Regardless, I refuse to get back into PC gaming at the "hardcore"
    level. I have much better things on which to spend my hard-earned
    money. I've been getting some downloads, though, like the Monkey
    Island remake, Telltale's various series, World of Goo, etc.
    The DS isn't a console... ;-)

    What RPGs have come out for the PC in the recent months?

    The alMIGHTY N, Sep 22, 2009
  15. Tradition?

    The alMIGHTY N, Sep 22, 2009
  16. parallax-scroll

    Eman Guest

    Only MMORPGs, Aion and Champions Online in the last few weeks.

    Eman, Sep 22, 2009
  17. So, yeah, more but they're all MMO instead of your standard fare
    single-player RPG...

    The alMIGHTY N, Sep 22, 2009
  18. parallax-scroll

    YKhan Guest

    Yes, you know the "Microsoft Tradition". A tradition of mediocrity,
    and not giving a crap, and even using that as an marketing point. :)

    Yousuf Khan

    YKhan, Sep 22, 2009
  19. parallax-scroll

    GMAN Guest

    Thats not a tradition by Microsoft, thats a Corporate culture.

    GMAN, Sep 23, 2009
  20. parallax-scroll

    YKhan Guest

    That's of course upto you, whether you upgrade your OS or not. I'd say
    if DX11 allows more work to be offloaded into the GPU, then that will
    be worth it, even without any visual enhancements. Right now it looks
    like AMD will be the only ones with DX11 GPUs for several months, into
    next year. Nvidia spent a lot of time and effort trying to avoid DX11,
    they only recently brought out a DX10.1 card, and that's for their
    mobility range.

    Yousuf Khan

    YKhan, Sep 25, 2009