    card generate this much buzz and industry support in what feels like
    years, but the powerful Radeon HD 5870 is doing just that."
    http://hothardware.com/News/Asus-Voltage-Tweaks-Radeon-HD-5870-To-A-38-Performance-Boost/

    YKhan, Sep 26, 2009

  2. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Yes, what's your point? The HD5870 is a single-GPU solution, whereas the
    GTX295 is a dual-GPU solution. Even the older model dual-GPU 4870X2
    beats the new HD5870 in some cases, due to the dual GPUs. The HD5870's
    real competition is the GTX285, where it massacres the Nvidia. What you
    should be impressed with is not the times that the 5870 got beaten by
    older technology dual-GPUs, but the times that it beat those dual-GPUs.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Oct 3, 2009

  3. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Anyways, it's much more impressive that the single GPU HD5870 beat out
    the dual-GPU GTX295 or HD4870X2 in five or six tests respectively. You
    expect the dual-GPUs to usually beat out single GPUs

    Well, it may be all academic pretty soon. According to this article,
    Nvidia's on the verge of cancelling its GTX260, 275, and 285, with the
    likelihood that the 295 will be gone pretty soon too.

    SemiAccurate :: Nvidia kills GTX285, GTX275, GTX260, abandons the mid
    and high end market
    "NVIDIA IS KILLING the GTX260, GTX275, and GTX285 with the GTX295 almost
    assured to follow as Nvidia (Nvidia: NVDA) abandons the high and mid
    range graphics card market. Due to a massive series of engineering
    failures, nearly all of the company's product line is financially under
    water, and mismanagement seems to be killing the company.

    Not even an hour after we laid out the financial woes surrounding the
    Nvidia GTX275 and GTX260, word reached us that they are dead. Normally,
    this would be an update to the original article, but this news has
    enough dire implications that it needs its own story. Nvidia is in
    desperate shape, whoop-ass has turned to ash, and the wagons can't be
    circled any tighter."
    http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10...x275-gtx260-abandons-mid-and-high-end-market/

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Oct 7, 2009
  4. parallax-scroll

    YKhan Guest

    Can you point out where the 285 beat the 5870? I've seen very few
    examples. In the first article, TechSpot, they ran just single cards,
    and the only things beating the 5870 with any consistency were the two
    dual-GPU solutions, 4870X2 or 295. In the Anandtech article, they ran
    mixes of single and dual cards, and again the only time anything beat
    the 5870 were either single-card/dual-GPU or dual-card/single-GPU.
    I don't think it's got anything to do with technology like GDDR5 vs.
    GDDR4 per se, it's more to do with cost to build. The low- and mid-
    price Nvidia cards cost more to build than they are getting back for
    them. This likely has a lot to do with Nvidia's extremely large die
    sizes. ATI has been concentrating on lowering costs for itself, and
    hence for the customers. The way to lower costs is to reduce the size
    of the GPU die.

    Yousuf Khan

    YKhan, Oct 8, 2009
  5. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Yeah, those were the only examples I saw of GTX285 beating HD5870 at
    anything at all, i.e. Supreme Commander. And it didn't beat it by much,
    like 1 or 2 frames. Supreme Commander is known as a CPU hog rather than
    a GPU hog, that's why you don't see much difference between any of the
    single-GPU cards, it's the processor that's bottlenecked.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Oct 9, 2009