    on the board itself. Please explain the correct jumper settings and
    the BIOS settings as if I were a 3rd grader.

    THX

    Free Wheeling, Sep 20, 2005

  2. Free Wheeling

    uddarts Guest

    upper left of the agp/video card there is the jumper, jp3. there
    should be a picture in the manual if you have a question on it.
    basicly just move it over 1 pin.

    ud

    uddarts, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Thanks UD,
    Tried that and still showed 1.30, so in the BIOS I changed the FSB
    Frequency from 166 to 200. Still I only see a 1.30 GHz. Any
    suggestions would be appreciated.

    THX

    Free Wheeling, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Free Wheeling

    Guy Guest

    Refer to page 30 of your manual, section 3-7.

    This board's Optimal setting is actually underclocking your chip by
    large margin.

    In BIOS, change your Freq/Voltage from Optimal to Aggressive. Thi
    will take you to 1.99 GHz, which is still a bit low for this chip'
    rating. If that is stable, you can try to overclock the chip b
    kicking it up to Turbo or Expert and playing with those settings

    I left mine at Aggressive, because I am Chicken.

    In my experience, on most boards you can specify the frequency;
    guess Chaintech dumbed down the process with this one

    There are no temperature sensor displays in BIOS either; too bad

    Guy, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Free Wheeling

    don Guest

    What CPU do you have

    don, Sep 22, 2005
  6. Tried it all and can not get the cpu up past 1.30. Cpuz.exe shows a
    13X at 100 MHz and the memory at 1:1 with 100 MHz. That seems right
    but why cannot I get this same coordination at a faster FSB speed?

    Free Wheeling, Sep 22, 2005
  7. Free Wheeling

    uddarts Guest

    what speed memory are you using?

    when making these changes or whenever, does the computer reboot or
    shut down on it’s own?

    make sure the jumper that is located to the upper left of the agp card
    slot and place it on the bottom 2 pins. boot, hit delete and go into
    the bios right side of the display. load optimized defaults, hit
    enter, y for yes, move down to save and exit, hit enter.

    ud

    uddarts, Sep 23, 2005
  8. Free Wheeling

    Guy Guest

    ok...Your symptoms are consistent with JP3 set at 100 MHz. My board
    came set to the higher bus frequency, so I did not have to change it.

    What pins do you have shorted? Refer to you manual, page 15 and
    verify that you have the jumper on pins 1 and 2. To get a higher CPU
    speed, you will need to change it. If you have already set it right,
    look for some foreign object that is shorting the pins.

    Also, your manual, page 8 shows that you should use a multiplier of
    10.5 for a 200 MHZ FSB, 13 for 166. Did you try both variations?

    Guy, Sep 23, 2005
  9. Free Wheeling

    Guy Guest

    One more thing...

    I have been running my system (7NJL6 w/ XP2900) since mid-Feburary
    without a crash...I just rebooted my system and went into the BIOS.

    Enter BIOS, Go into Frequency/Voltage control, and set the following:

    System Interface: Expert
    FSB Frequency: 200 MHZ
    CPU Interface: Aggressive
    Memory Frequency: Auto

    Memory Timings: Optimal

    And tell us what you get.

    HTH!

    Guy, Sep 23, 2005
  10. OK, good friends, I'm up to 2.16 MHz. Had to reset JP1 twice but it
    finally booted with Optimized default loaded. Thanks for all the help
    but will have to try again as soon as Rita goes through and we have
    stabilized electricity. Being in Southwest Louisiana is not always
    fun. I may be out of electricity and AC for a while but lots of
    liquor and ice. I have to endure it but I don't have remember it.
    Later.

    THX

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 02:33:54 GMT,

    Free Wheeling, Sep 23, 2005
  11. Free Wheeling

    nthums1 Guest

    I would try to set the CPU for the intended bus speed, revealed by the
    part number on the processor. Verify at AMD, the word is that there
    are some that got rebadged to a lower speed. Also where are you
    checking the speed at. My Sempron 2800 333 bus runs at a true near
    2Ghz. the 2800 is a rating.
    Also check if there is a label on the RAM if it is Ultra. I thought I
    was getting pc3200 400MHz RAM from the ad and the BIOS detects as
    such from the SPD. I found the label actually says 266MHz and
    manually setting to such creates stability.
    Start with BIOS reset per manual, boot to BIOS & set to optimum,
    boot machine and check Device Manager for proper hardware install. I
    have found that when viewing by device connection, the tree will
    reveal wrong connections to computer.

    nthums1, Sep 23, 2005
  13. Free Wheeling

    Guy Guest

    ok, 2167 is the right answer. This tells me you have a 333MHz chip.

    Stay safe; I grew up in Florida so I know what you're feeling!

    Guy, Sep 23, 2005
  14. Free Wheeling

    uddarts Guest

    glad you got it. if have to clear your bios again, remember to pull
    the power plug on the psu.

    have fun and don’t try flying a kite. :D

    ud

    uddarts, Sep 25, 2005
  15. Free Wheeling

    bill1005j Guest

    Guywrote:
    Refer to page 30 of your manual, section 3-7.
    will take you to 1.99 GHz, which is still a bit low for this chip's
    rating. If that is stable, you can try to overclock the chip by
    kicking it up to Turbo or Expert and playing with those settings.
    guess Chaintech dumbed down the process with this one.

    Hello, like so many participants on this and other forums, I have a
    lot of issues with Chaintech, especially the 7NJL6 mobo heavily
    promoted in recent months by online shops such as TigerDirect. I
    bought the mobo bundled with the AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 333 MHz, Barton
    Core from TD back in mid-September. It was nothing but trouble, with
    frequent lock ups and blue screens. I spent probably 50 hours total
    troubleshooting, swapping components, etc., and finally returned the
    mobo to Chaintech for a replacement.

    The replacement has been running stably, but with a puzzling and
    annoying twist - POST reports MEMORY FREQUENCY of 100 MHz, with or
    without DDR Enabled, and no matter what I do with BIOS settings or
    how or where I install the memory in the three banks.

    System info:

    7NJL6 with AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 333 MHz FSB, Barton Core
    Vantec iON 2 350W PSU
    Windows Millenium, fully updated
    3 sticks of Ultra DDR PC3200, 400 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS
    Chaintech 7.1 Channel PCI 24HT-S Sound Card
    Seagate 120 GB EIDE HDD
    Floppy
    Samsung TSST H552B CD/DVD+/-RW

    The really curious thing is, no matter what I do, the system's
    performance scores using Symantec System Works 2004's bundled
    Performance Tests (www.passmark.com) are the same: 230-240 Pass Mark;
    710-730 Megaflops. The CPU runs at the correct, rated speed of 2158
    MHz (1.3 x 166), with JP3 jumper at default setting (pins 1,2
    jumpered for 133/166/200 MHz). I've found that the one BIOS setting
    on this board that have direct, immediate effect on CPU speed is the
    Gate A20 Option - it must be left at the default setting of FAST, not
    Normal, otherwise the CPU speed drops to 1300 MHz.

    I've tweaked and tried virtually every likely BIOS setting to try to
    alter this immovable MEMORY FREQENCY of 100 MHz, with no success.
    I've tried the Aggressive setting for the CPU INTERFACE options; SPD
    vs. AUTO in the MEMORY FREQUENCY settings, and populated the memory
    banks with 2 or 3 sticks at alternate positions. All of which produce
    no difference in the 100 MHz memory frequency in POST, and negligible
    differences in performance scores.

    Guy, I too was "chicken" to go any further with "turbo" or "expert"
    in selecting CPU Interface options, especially since I found that
    with my particular 7NJL6 board, I can not select 200 MHz FSB - I've
    tried it twice, and both times the system wouldn't boot at all and I
    had to clear the CMOS and start over.

    Is it possible that this Chaintech board has a double- or quad- pumped
    FSB bus? If so, my system at least is running at 200 MHz minimum? The
    Chaintech 7NJL6 User Guide is poorly written, with omissions, and
    doesn't mention this item. The Chaintech web site and Tech Service is
    not of much help either, although the latter has returned my emails
    rather promptly. Its latest advice is for me to reflash the BIOS,
    which I am not about to do as the risk/reward ratio is abysmal.

    You, and several others on this board are obviously skilled and
    knowledgeable with computers. I am hoping you can point to something
    I may have missed. I confess to considerable ignorance on the subject
    of changing computer speeds and timing - I've never tried overclocking
    for that reason, especially since I am not a gamer.

    Any advice or comment is extremely welcome and appreciated. Sorry for
    a rather long post, but I wanted to be clear about what I want to
    say.

    :)

    bill1005j, Nov 7, 2005
  17. Free Wheeling

    bill1005j Guest

    Apologies to all for the double post - I thought the first one go
    stuck

    bill1005j, Nov 7, 2005
  18. Free Wheeling

    Guy Guest

    Bill,

    I just bought a 7NJL6 with the XP 3000, 2 X 512MB Viking, and an eVGA
    256 MB AGP card. I put it in a Coolermaster Centurion case today.

    I am installing drivers and updates now; however, I encountered the
    same problem this morning with the 200 MHz bus. My system is
    currently reporting 1300 MHz, and I have cleared the CMOS four times.
    I am running a 100MHz bus setting right now.

    I am not touching the default settings again until I figure out what
    is going on. I am also soliciting comments and advice (especially
    from Uddarts). I will also keep you posted via this newsegroup on
    anything I find.

    I spent several days troubleshooting this system in an old case --
    this planned upgrade turned into a new build when I decided to buy
    this Coolermaster case. It turns out the system would not boot
    because of a bad PS2 mouse. I was really surprised by that, but at
    least the system is running now.

    Ud, I decided to go with another 7N. It's just going to be an email
    server and home office PC for my wife anyway.... The success story is
    this new Coolermaster case from CompUSA.

    Thanks,

    Guy, Nov 7, 2005
  19. Free Wheeling

    Guy Guest

    Ok, here is an update. I do not yet know what is causing this bizarr
    behavior.

    First, I have the machine running at 2.167 GHz. I accomplished thi
    as follows:

    1. I installed the latest drivers from the Chaintech website*.

    2. After rebooting, I entered the BIOS and set the CPU freq to 200
    (I admit this was a stretch, since my CPU should use 166.) Th
    restart failed, so I powered down and pulled the CMOS jumper. I the
    powered up, and got an error request telling me the CMOS had changed
    (Note: This had not happened before; previously I had set my syste
    to Aggressive, but this time I left it at Optimal....

    3. I entered BIOS and reset the CPU freq to 166. This time i
    successfully rebooted, and told me the CPU had been changed (!) an
    asked me to go into CMOS to correct the boot drive order. I ignore
    this with an F1 key and the system booted right into Windows with
    dramatic speed increase. The system and Belarc Advisor both verif
    the speed increase, but Belarc reports 2.15 while the system report
    2.16. The correct value should be 2.167, and I assume it is th
    actual value being reported, with rounding errors in the utilities.

    I will now run the system for 24 hours with Speedfan monitorin
    temperature.

    *OBTW, I installed all of the same drivers on my other build, a 7NJL
    / 2900 configuration, and it is running fine as well.

    I will check in Wednesday

    Guy, Nov 8, 2005
  20. Free Wheeling

    Guy Guest

    Update: My new system - 7NJL6 (BIOS v. 2) with XP 3000 / 333MHz an
    512MB x 2 of Viking 8/3/3 memory - is running smoothly under th
    optimized defaults.

    Thanks for the help

    Guy, Nov 12, 2005