CUPS info

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michelle Steiner, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Here's something I got from the Mac Women email list.

    --------------------------------

    (From DesignGeek newsletter - http://www.senecadesign.com/)

    --------------------------------

    Amazing Printing Trick in OS X

    OS X users, try this: Turn on your printer, open your web browser and go
    to this URL: <http://127.0.0.1:631/printers>

    You'll see all your printers on your network listed, including any
    "virtual" printers (such as Adobe PDF). From here you can print a highly
    useful test page (including if it's PostScript 1, 2, or 3), modify or
    configure the printer, even delete the printer (for those "ghost"
    printers which are no longer on your network).

    While you're at this page, try clicking the Jobs button in the top
    navigation area. You'll see a list of all jobs currently being printed,
    and from here you can put a job on hold or delete it altogether.

    For more amazement, try clicking the Show Completed Jobs button on this
    screen...you'll see a list of everything you've ever sent to the printer
    since the beginning of time (or since you got your Mac or installed OS
    X, whichever comes later).

    What's happening...is it magic? Who's behind that URL? Some
    quasi-government agency tracking your computer use?

    Nope, it's just your own computer. The above URL is the address of your
    OS X software's printing subsystem, called CUPS. Print Center (or
    Printer Setup Utility, in Panther) is just Apple's Mac-like interface
    for CUPS.

    So when Print Center isn't doing what you want, try going behind the
    curtain to speak directly to the Wizard: use CUPS instead.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Michelle Steiner

    Sloopy Guest

    Why do you give Enough straight lines like this?

    -Sloopy

    Sloopy, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Why do you give Enough straight lines like this?[/QUOTE]

    Give him enough rope and he'll hang himself. That's why he named
    himself "enough" after all.

    BTW, despite our political differences, I do appreciate your support.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Michelle Steiner

    Enough Guest

    VERY cool!

    Enough, Dec 4, 2003
  5. Michelle Steiner

    Enough Guest

    Give him enough rope and he'll hang himself. That's why he named
    himself "enough" after all.

    BTW, despite our political differences, I do appreciate your support.[/QUOTE]

    (Talk about straight lines!)

    I though you didn't need a 'support'er any longer!

    Enough, Dec 4, 2003
  6. VERY cool![/QUOTE]

    Glad you like it; I felt the same way when I read it.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 4, 2003
  7. Oh, I do, but it's much larger, quite a bit higher up on my body, and
    has two cups instead of one.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 4, 2003
  8. Michelle Steiner

    Enough Guest

    For a triple A-? I don't believe it.

    Enough, Dec 4, 2003
  9. It is a port number. In a URL ending with a colon followed by a number,
    the number following the colon is a port number.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 4, 2003
  10. For a triple A-? I don't believe it.[/QUOTE]

    Um, why did you change the subject to your favorite baseball league?

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 4, 2003
  11. Michelle Steiner

    Enough Guest

    Um, why did you change the subject to your favorite baseball league?[/QUOTE]

    Nah, I only play in the doubleDs!

    Enough, Dec 4, 2003
  12. Michelle Steiner

    Sloopy Guest

    I guess old fat guys like old fat women.

    -Sloopy

    Sloopy, Dec 4, 2003
  13. Nah, I only play in the doubleDs![/QUOTE]

    I said baseball, not boob-ball.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 4, 2003
  14. Michelle Steiner

    Enough Guest

    I said baseball, not boob-ball.[/QUOTE]

    I LIKE to play with boobs! Can't you tell?

    Enough, Dec 4, 2003
  15. Michelle Steiner

    Enough Guest

    Sloppy, when you get ANY, drop use a line!

    Enough, Dec 4, 2003
  16. Seems to me that you like to play the boob.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 4, 2003
  17. This is really great. Thanks for posting it.

    George Johnson, Dec 6, 2003