Current Intel-based Abit/Asus boards with at least 5 PCI slots

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Rick Yerger, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. Rick Yerger

    Rick Yerger Guest

    Hi all, I'm looking into finally upgrading my computer, but I have
    several expensive AGP/PCI cards I'd like to keep (two Adaptec
    SCSI cards, MPEG encoder card, high-end AGP Radeon etc).
    PCI-X, Express etc. don't interest me, at least not yet.

    How does the IC7-G stack up in terms of performance compared
    to the latest and greatest from Abit and Asus? I'm more interested
    in overall processing speed (do lots of NLE video) than gaming,

    Is the new 1066MHz bus worth bothering with?

    Will the P4 Extreme Editions buy me any more performance for
    NLE, or are they targeted toward gamers?

    Thanks for any info.

    Rick

    Rick Yerger, Oct 27, 2005

  2. It's worth looking at what you've currently got, and deciding how much use
    you're going to have for some of these cards in the longer term, and
    especially post-upgrade. For example, your "MPEG encoder" card. It's
    arguable that you'll get better quality and flexibility from a modern
    software encoder. Similarly if it's actually a hardware-based DVD playback
    card you'll probably not need it given a modern PC and a good software
    player.
    With judicious processor and memory choice you can probably get just as good
    performance out of an IC7-G based system as you can one of the newer Socket
    775 based alternatives. However, the big problem nowadays will be finding a
    good (i.e. Northwood) processor to fit in a Socket 478 system, as virtually
    all the front line P4 stock you'll find nowadays is LGA775, and you don't
    really want an S478 Prescott.
    The P4EE's are targetted towards people who must have "da best at any price"
    and don't want to buy an Athlon FX. Yes you will get a little more
    performance out of one but given the enormous price hike it's not a
    worthwhile exchange.

    It's a bit of a curious situation at the moment. If you already had a good
    IC7-G based system I would probably advise you to keep hold of it for a
    while longer, as they are still excellent boards that build up into
    excellent systems, and nothing else you'd likely be able to buy would give
    you enough of a performance increase to justify the expenditure. However,
    given that you're likely to have a job getting the right processor to fit in
    one, I'm not sure I would recommend somebody buy one, or indeed any Socket
    478 board, now. Tricky.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Rick Yerger

    Rick Yerger Guest

    Not sure about that, Richard. I've got three video inputs (coax
    cable, S-video and composite) and two audio inputs coming into
    the encoder. Aside from the physical port issue, I can capture
    DVD quality in the background using 25% cpu, even on my
    current and ancient 1.2GHz P3. I believe a hardware encoder
    makes a substantial difference here.
    Absolutely. The card doesn't have a hardware decoder.
    Can you expand on that last answer in terms of the one right
    above it? Isn't the IC7-G an 800MHz board, not 1066?
    Thanks very much. Great info.

    Rick Yerger, Oct 27, 2005
  4. I upgraded to the ASUS P5P800 so that I could use the new LGA775
    processors and keep my AGP video card. The board also has the 5 PCI
    slots you mentioned.

    Michael W. Ryder, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Rick Yerger

    Rick Yerger Guest

    I was able to find the following Northwood chips. Assuming proper
    memory, which of these (they're all D1 stepping) would likely have
    the best potential for overclocking and overall performance?

    GHz BUS
    2.66 533
    2.80 400
    3.00 800
    3.06 533

    Thanks again,

    Rick

    Rick Yerger, Oct 28, 2005
  6. Rick Yerger

    Rick Yerger Guest

    Thanks for the info Michael. I think I'm steering clear of
    Intel's Prescott chips for now.

    Rick Yerger, Oct 28, 2005
  7. No question, the [email protected] and by a considerable margin. The first two you
    mention don't have hyperthreading, which is likely to give your video
    encoding a big performance boost, and also have slow buses, while the 3.06
    is hobbled by the 533MHz bus.

    If you get the 3.00 to go with the IC7-G (or indeed another good 875P based
    board), don't forget to get decent PC4000 memory to go with.

    Richard Hopkins, Oct 29, 2005
  8. Rick Yerger

    TomG Guest

    at what prices?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    Due to a rat in da hood,
    no longer running servers on Cox...

    (even though someone turned me in,
    what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

    TomG, Oct 30, 2005
  9. Rick Yerger

    Rick Yerger Guest

    Not quite insane prices, but almost. In usual Intel fashion, people
    are getting great P4 deals on what they don't want (Prescotts) and
    paying hefty premiums for what they do want (Northwoods).

    3GHz 800FSB P4's are selling for $140-200 on eBay, which is
    the only place I've found them. I paid $160. The 2.8's are selling
    for the same range of prices, with 3.2's and 3.4's going for more,
    and 2.6/2.4 Northwoods a little less.

    Rick Yerger, Oct 30, 2005
  10. Rick Yerger

    0_Qed Guest

    AWww, come on !!

    Tell us what you =really= think of 'current' Intel .... vs AMD !!!

    Qed.

    TomG, Nov 2, 2005
  12. Rick Yerger

    0_Qed Guest

    ;_)
    Thats 'prevert' ... GIR!

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Nov 2, 2005
  13. Rick Yerger

    0_Qed Guest

    Oh Well ...
    yet another B&B Circus 'goer' taking the sign that says ...
    " This Way to the Egress ".

    :)
    Qed.

    0_Qed, Nov 2, 2005
  14. Rick Yerger

    Dave Guest

    Well...

    He did roger that....

    ;)

    What a pervert! :)

    Dave

    Dave, Nov 2, 2005
  15. Rick Yerger

    Rick Yerger Guest

    If you people are going to hijack a thread and start babbling
    could you at least change the damned header so I and others
    don't waste any more time checking for useful responses.

    Danke

    Rick Yerger, Nov 2, 2005
  16. Rick Yerger

    TomG Guest

    and did you get one from them that actually works? I'm in the middle of a
    situation here that I'll hold my tongue on until I see how "stand-up" the
    guy is on his product...

    TomG, Nov 2, 2005
  17. Rick Yerger

    TomG Guest

    they are amongst the best hijackers around. me, I never do that...

    TomG, Nov 2, 2005
  18. Rick Yerger

    Rick Yerger Guest

    I won't be able to test this one for a while, as I'm still shopping
    memory for the IC7-G. (It's down to either OCZ One or Corsair
    3200XL. I'd like to get modules with Samsung's 5ns TCCD chips,
    but they're out of reach financially for a few more weeks.)

    Warranty is everything when buying a cpu from ebay. I've found
    private parties are usually more willing to offer a decent guarantee,
    as opposed to businesses who either offer just a DOA warranty
    or none at all.

    Rick Yerger, Nov 3, 2005
  19. Rick Yerger

    TomG Guest

    well, the situation is that the CPU I got, a 3.0 Ghz, would boot to the bios
    setup but would not allow a system that was working 5 minutes before to boot
    beyond the initial stages of showing the OS splash...

    the guy says he will replace it and apologizes for the inconvenience so,
    assuming that he lives up to that...

    TomG, Nov 3, 2005
  20. Rick Yerger

    Rick Yerger Guest

    Did you double check your bios settings, e.g. AGP/PCI buss
    speeds, memory timings etc?

    Rick Yerger, Nov 3, 2005