Current laptop with the longest battery life ?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by SW, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. SW

    SW Guest

    I have several trips planed with fights of up to 15 hours.

    I may not have a laptop power hookup in my seat, so I'm looking for a
    laptop with a long battery life.

    Speed is not really that much of an issue, weight could come into
    play, seeing that I'll be carrying on a bag or two.

    I will probably be using MS Office, but I will also be playing games
    and maybe watching a DVD or two (anything to pass the time).

    I'm sure certain programs consume more power (games probably ?).

    Can anyone with similar laptop travel experiences share them with me ?

    So, which laptop do you recommend ?

    (I'd like to keep it under $1500, remember, having that fastest laptop
    isn't that important)

    Thanks,

    S W

    Please post reply here.

    SW, Oct 15, 2003

  2. If you're going to be watching DVDs and playing games, speed *could*
    be an issue.

    My suggestion... Find yourself the laptop that meets your computing
    needs and purchase additional batteries!

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Oct 15, 2003

  3. SW

    Vincent Fox Guest

    Buy an older model lightweight laptop on EBay and a couple
    of extra batteries. Something like ThinkPad T21 or X30.
    Get the auto/air adapter too, in case you do have it.
    Save yourself a ton of money.

    Vincent Fox, Oct 15, 2003
  4. SW

    Mark Carroll Guest

    (snip)

    I like my Thinkpad R40 from the point of view of battery life. How
    long the 4Ah battery lasts depends a lot on what I do, but it's pretty
    good and, using the Ultrabay, I can have two in the machine at once.
    It might brush up against your weight or cost requirements, but
    probably just under.

    However, my DVD drive also fits in the Ultrabay, so the secondary
    battery is of limited value if I want to watch movies!

    -- Mark

    Mark Carroll, Oct 15, 2003
  5. SW

    Andy Guest

    As far as I know the current record holder is the Thinkpad X31 with
    extended battery, this will run up to 8 hours in light use. Not sure how
    this would do playing a DVD.

    Andy

    Having said that I think this needs an external DVD, you could rip the DVDs
    to the HD for the trip though

    Andy, Oct 15, 2003
  6. SW

    kjakja Guest

    No contest- centrino system w/ extra battery 11-12 hrs-try compaq nx7000

    kjakja, Oct 16, 2003
  7. SW

    Joe Davis Guest

    most airlines that fly 15 hour flights have the laptop power available. You
    might check before you buy batteries--I'd rather have one of the air/car/AC
    power supplies than a 2nd (or 3rd) battery. As a veteran of many
    trans-pacific flights (where else can you go 15 + hours??), here are some
    thoughts:

    1) if you get an isle seat, your computer will be at risk everytime someone
    in the window seat is passed food/drink. I lost a laptop due to a drink
    being spilled on it in flight.

    2) take a penlight or USB light with you. When they turn out the cabin
    lights, it gets really dark, and you may not want to keep the reading light
    on.

    3) A typical long flight breaks down into segments:
    first 2-3 hours: drinks and meal, lots of coming and going,
    hard to work on a laptop, especially in the isle seat.
    next 2-3 hours: lights out, movie time. OK to work
    next 2-3 hours: lights out, people sleeping. OK to work
    next 2-3 hours: everyone's waking up, getting restless,
    hard to work
    last 2-3 hours: 2nd meal, getting reading for landing, only
    an iron-man can work here.

    Bottom line, you can probably get 4 to 6 hours of productive work time on
    the flight, maybe another 2-3 hours of movies or gaming, although I usually
    use their equipment instead of my laptop for the movies. What works best
    for me is staying up all night before I leave, trying to get last-minute
    details taken care of. Then, a couple of drinks and I can get 6 to 8 hours
    of sleep, and sometimes it "re-sets" my clock and I don't get jet-lag as
    bad.

    Don't forget to take a decent pair of headphones. Also pack your power
    supply and any electrical adaptors for use in the airport lounges along the
    way. I've actually been able to get airport internet connections to check
    on and change flights when I couldn't get the help/information I needed at
    the counter.

    Joe Davis, Oct 18, 2003
  8. SW

    Henk H Guest

    Over here in Europe they sell the Asus M3700N (a centrino) that runs
    approx 7 hours on a single battery. With a 2nd battery in place of the
    CD/DVD it can last up to 10 hrs. Cute little thing too.

    Anyway your first shifting should be on the processor, get a Centrino
    (=Pentium-M, and not a Pentium 4-M) or maybe a Celeron.

    -hh-

    Henk H, Oct 18, 2003
  9. SW

    singa_lvr Guest

    Northwest still does not offer power in coach.

    singa_lvr, Oct 20, 2003