CUSL2-C won't find any driver under XP

Discussion in 'Asus' started by cycleguy56, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. cycleguy56

    cycleguy56 Guest

    I'm having a problem with installing any new hardware under XP home. I
    start with just a video card, and when I try to add a Soundblaster PC
    128 for example, it won't find the driver which is in the cd drive.
    Same for a new wireless LAN (with XP drivers). The drivers are there,
    it recognizes the hardware as only a network controller, but refused to
    find the driver.

    Config highlights:

    PIII 1 Ghz
    512 meg ram at 133
    All MB drivers installed as from ASUS
    4 gig IDE drive, half full
    Nothing overclocked

    Do I have a hardware (MB) problem with the PCI bus, or is there s setup
    issue here. Thanks for any help.

    Dennis

    cycleguy56, Nov 23, 2005

  2. cycleguy56

    Roy Coorne Guest

    The SoundBlaster may wish to have its own IRQ. And the WLAN may be
    picky, too.

    You may check the IRQ distribution in the Device Manager.

    And you may switch PCI slots.

    Trial and error...

    r0y

    Roy Coorne, Nov 23, 2005

  3. cycleguy56

    cycleguy56 Guest

    Thanks Roy...

    Which PCI slot doesn't seem to matter. The WLAN card doesn't seem
    to care in a Win98SE2 install (on a P2B), but I don't know if it would
    be any different in an XP install.

    Forgot to mention that this MB also behaves badly with a Win98
    install...(sorry, it was late)

    It also behaves badly with both the newest beta BIOS and an older
    stable version (1003 I think..Im not close to it now.)

    Some BIOS setting I'm overlooking? Thanks again for any
    help.

    Dennis

    cycleguy56, Nov 23, 2005
  4. cycleguy56

    Roy Coorne Guest

    Well, my CUSL2-C Rev.1.02 behaves well with the last BIOS which is
    1014.001 of 20.09.2002 and Windows XP Prof SP2.

    Win98 is practically dead, and Win98SE is out-of-date.
    (I use the cumulative update packs for the various Windows versions
    from WinBoard, see
    <http://download.winboard.org/downloads.php?ordner_id=101>.)

    You may try actual SoundBlaster drivers from www.creative.com.

    You will remember setting BIOS values to default both before and after
    flashing.

    And that's the end of my wisdom;-)

    Roy

    Roy Coorne, Nov 23, 2005
  5. cycleguy56

    Egil Solberg Guest

    When I installed WinXP Pro with a SB AudioPCI 128 (CT4810), the inbuilt XP
    driver worked just fine. Could it be that XP has decided that it's own
    driver is the best?
    What does device manager say?

    Egil Solberg, Nov 23, 2005
  6. cycleguy56

    cycleguy56 Guest

    Device manager just says its a "PCI card", doesn't even recognize it as
    an audio board.

    I realize that Win98 is old news...I simply used it to help isolate the
    problem (OS, MB, BIOS, etc.)

    My hunch is either a BIOS problem (I will check the settings again), or
    a hardware failure.

    thanks to all for the help..keep it coming :).

    Dennis

    cycleguy56, Nov 24, 2005