    Obviously I am not going to get a free Win7 upgrade, but I was
    wondering if Dell will likely have custom upgrades which also upgrade
    the recovery and other Dell specific features?

    Alan Biddle, Jun 29, 2009

  2. Alan Biddle

    S.Lewis Guest

    My guess: negative.

    You're looking at a straight Win 7 upgrade disc either Dell OEM or retail.
    ie: Just an OS disc.

    If you do a true upgrade with either, your factory image restore partition
    will obviously still contain the original Vista image (unless you blow that
    partition up somehow).

    S.Lewis, Jun 30, 2009

  3. Alan Biddle

    Hank Arnold Guest

    First off, I'm not sure what you mean by "the usual recovery partition".
    I've purchased Dell Latitudes for the Hospice I support several times
    over the past 5 years and none have had a "recovery partition". They
    *DO* have a utility partition for running diagnostics, though. Perhaps
    that's what you meant?

    As to upgrading to W7, you should get an activation code with it whether
    you get it from Dell, MS or an OEM.

    Dell's CD/DVD will be teh same as any other OEM's other than being able
    to recognize a Dell CPU...

    --

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold