    brands Hewlett-Packard and Compaq, which scored 54 and 51, respectively,
    Dell's rating represented a decline from the magazine's last desktop support
    survey, published in June 2003, in which it received a 64.

    Fixer, Feb 12, 2005

  2. What did HP and Compaq get in the June 2003 survey?

    Ogden Johnson III, Feb 12, 2005
  3. Kerry Goodnight

    Dogface Guest

    "Growing pains" my arse. Dell's customer support problems are very simple
    and easily solved. This isn't rocket science for Christ sake. It just
    takes the will and the MONEY! It appears Dell has neither since their
    ratings continue to decline.

    On the tech side it is plain and simple. Dell needs to bring back support
    to the U.S. Foreign support centers for U.S. customers is a loser IMO. If
    they refuse to do this because of cost then every single tech support call
    needs to be examined. If the customer is constantly saying "what?" or
    asking the tech agent to repeat themselves, then this agent has a
    communication problem (assuming a clear telephone connection). Either get
    rid of them or take them off and teach them understandable English. If they
    have to keep putting the customer on hold to get information then get rid of
    them or train them properly. If they can't solve a certain percentage of
    calls on the first try without help then get rid of them or train them.

    On the customer service side, empower the customer service reps to do their
    job without bouncing customers between 3-4 different divisions in an endless
    and frustrating loop of nobody being able to help. If a customer service
    rep has to transfer you 2-3 times then YOU HAVE A PROBLEM with your customer
    service model! If a customer has to call back repeatedly for the same
    problem then YOU HAVE A PROBLEM with your customer service model! All this
    run around is pissing the customer off AND cost Dell money.

    Measure this stuff and make managers bonuses dependent on fixing the
    problems!

    http://news.com.com/Growing+pains+hit+Dells+customer+service/2100-1042_3-5162141.html

    Dogface, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Kerry Goodnight

    Tom Scales Guest

    You're right.

    And I assume you're willing to pay an extra $100-200 for this?

    Great!

    Then just buy it through Small business and pay for Gold support.

    Ever heard of "you get what you pay for?"

    Buy a cheap Home machine and get offshore mediocre service.
    Buy a better Small business machine and pay for onshort service.

    How can they do what you want and still sell a $349 machine?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Feb 12, 2005
  5. Kerry Goodnight

    WSZsr Guest

    You get what you pay for. Any fool knows that.....

    WSZsr, Feb 12, 2005
  6. Kerry Goodnight

    Dogface Guest

    Hmmm.... I don't recall Dell ever calling out various levels of service
    costing more and more money on any of their "award winning service"
    commercials. Do home buyers see a line on their invoice that says
    "Mediocre Service included"? It must be right under the line that says
    "Torturous Customer Service included".

    Dogface, Feb 12, 2005
  7. Just another "in defense of Dell". Pretty common with certain individuals
    here.

    Kerry Goodnight, Feb 12, 2005
  8. Kerry Goodnight

    Jon Skidmore Guest

    I taught I taw a DellBot!

    Jon Skidmore, Feb 12, 2005
  9. Kerry Goodnight

    Tom Scales Guest

    Once again, just calling names, in face of the facts.

    Dell Home service sucks.

    I know that.
    You know that.
    Dell knows that.

    For an average price under $1000, they accept that.

    And sell millions.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Feb 13, 2005
  10. Kerry Goodnight

    Notan Guest

    When I bring my Toyota in for service, the service is just
    as expected... Very good.

    When my wife brings her Lexus in for service, not only is
    the service very good, they give her a loaner, wash her car,
    and numerous other "pluses."

    Do ya think it might be because she spent more money?

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 13, 2005
  11. Kerry Goodnight

    Dogface Guest

    Hmmm... don't recall seeing that in the Dell ads either.
    Shouldn't buyers expect what they have been promised?
    Namely "award winning support"?

    So the cheaper Dell system buyers get support fair to bad support.
    The middle of the line buyers get mediocre support.
    The top of the line buyers get the best support.
    I doubt that is the Dell service model.

    Dogface, Feb 13, 2005
  12. Kerry Goodnight

    Sparky Guest

    <yawn>

    Sparky, Feb 13, 2005
  13. Kerry Goodnight

    Hank Arnold Guest

    This "news" is so old that it's growing a beard....... I doubt that there is
    anyone out there who thinks that Dell's support has remained at the same
    level it was years ago..... the other OEM's are still worse....

    Hank Arnold, Feb 13, 2005
  14. Kerry Goodnight

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Ironically, you have just made the point in favor of Dell! The PC business
    (especially the consumer side) runs on razor thin margins. Reality is that
    if they kept the service at the level it was, say 5 years ago, they would be
    losing money hand over fist and be in danger of going bankrupt.

    Could they do a better job,? You bet!! Will you ever see that level of tech
    support again? Not a chance!!!

    Hank Arnold, Feb 13, 2005
  15. Kerry Goodnight

    Tom Scales Guest

    Actually it is EXACTLY Dell's service model.

    Tom Scales, Feb 13, 2005
  16. Kerry Goodnight

    Dogface Guest

    Just NOT the model they advertise they have.

    Dell needs to stop lying to the home buyers.

    Dell needs to stop conning people into believing they
    have award winning support and they will get it.

    Just be honest for once!

    Dogface, Feb 13, 2005
  17. Kerry Goodnight

    Dogface Guest

    Except home buyers of expensive systems get low level service as well.
    It is not what they paid, it is their status as a "home buyer" that sends
    determines their level of non-service.

    Dogface, Feb 13, 2005
  18. Kerry Goodnight

    Dogface Guest

    Then all they need to do is to STOP telling people they are getting "award
    winning" tech support.

    Be honest and tell them "our tech support ratings for home buyers have been
    declining quite dramatically over the last few years as Dell has moved to
    overseas support to dramatically reduce costs and unfortunately that has
    resulted in hiring people that our customers cannot understand as well as
    people who don't know anything about Dell products that isn't written in a
    script."

    Do the right thing and be honest. Don't screw and/or mislead customers.
    Long lost values I guess.

    Dogface, Feb 13, 2005
  19. Kerry Goodnight

    Notan Guest

    As a Small Business purchaser, I had to pay more for Gold Tech Support,
    in order to ensure that I'd get good support... It didn't come free,
    just 'cause I wasn't a Home buyer.

    I do, however, think that (optional) level of support *should* be available
    to all purchasers.

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 13, 2005