D-Link 614+ - DSL was slow, no improvement after DSL speed upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Karen, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. Karen

    Karen Guest

    Hello,

    Can someone help us here - I'm trying to figure out why our DSL has always
    been slower--not just slower, but MUCH MUCH slower--than the advertised
    potential speed and why getting the 2x faster package didn't improve things
    much if at all. I don't have unrealistic expectations and I know that how
    fast you download depends on a lot of things and I know what band*width*
    means and that some servers are slower, etc.

    I have a D-Link 614+ which is capable of 100 Mbps. Am I wrong for thinking
    that it should transfer 100 megabytes per second in ideal conditions? I
    know it's hard to have ideal conditions in reality because how fast you
    download depends on the servers you're downloading from and many other
    things. Signal strength is always excellent.

    So why do all of these bandwidth testing sites show the same slow
    performance? I'm in Germany, and I use speedmeter.de and other sites that
    are in Germany; it's not like I'm using bandwidth tests in places too far
    away to give an accurate result.

    DH has a new Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz system with FBS 800 and 2 GB DDR RAM, if
    that is any help. So, I wouldn't think that the slowness is for lack of a
    fast machine, or?

    I need help in figuring out why DSL isn't faster. I was excited when
    T-DSL-2000 was finally available in our area, so I'd like to know how to
    take advantage of the speed, because something doesn't seem to be working
    right.

    Typical results from speedmeter.de:
    Download speed: 46.3 KByte/sec. That's also about what we got with T-DSL
    1000 with an advertised max speed of 1024 kbit/s.
    We have T-DSL 2000 now and there's NO improvement and the advertised max
    speed is 2048 kbit/s

    Is this a hardware problem?

    Thanks!

    K.

    Karen, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Karen

    Mike Walsh Guest

    The data transfer speed is not determined by the ethernet speed; 10 Mbps ethernet is faster than any DSL.
    Bandwidth testing sites are not very accurate; the speed may be limited by things other than your DSL.
    You don't need a fast processor. I had DSL with a 266 Mhz Pentium 2 that worked very well.
    The best way to test download speed is to download 2 or 3 large files (from different servers) at the same time and use a utility that will display the speed, or measure the time that it takes for the files to download. If you download a single file it is likely that the speed will be limited by the server and not your DSL connection.
    It could be a problem with your telephone line. If the line is poor or you are too far from the telco the speed will be reduced.
    --

    When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

    Mike Walsh, Dec 6, 2004