    got a non raid capable board?

    thanks,
    charles......

    ***** charles, Sep 26, 2006

  2. The link below shows which boards have RAID and which don't.
    http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/rl_available.htm

    Brownz @ Work, Sep 26, 2006

  3. The chart indicates that the "black" boards have raid. I think
    mine is black but there is no place in the cmos that indicates
    the configuration of the sata drives either regular or raid.
    Shouldn't the cmos be configurable?

    thanks....

    ***** charles, Sep 26, 2006
  4. Should be a chapter in the TPS about CMOS settings :

    ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/C3176401.pdf

    I don't have a PERL here, only a GLC.

    Brownz \(mobile\), Sep 26, 2006
  5. ***** charles

    Compfix Guest

    Here is what the 865perl pdf has to say: (Long Post)
    1.7.3.2 Serial ATA Interfaces

    The ICH5's Serial ATA controller offers two independent Serial ATA ports
    with a theoretical

    maximum transfer rate of 150 MB/s per port. One device can be installed on
    each port for a

    maximum of two Serial ATA devices. A point-to-point interface is used for
    host to device

    connections, unlike IDE which supports a master/slave configuration and two
    devices per channel.

    For compatibility, the underlying Serial ATA functionality is transparent to
    the operating system.

    The Serial ATA controller can operate in both legacy and native modes. In
    legacy mode, standard

    IDE I/O and IRQ resources are assigned (IRQ 14 and 15). In Native mode,
    standard PCI resource

    steering is used. Native mode is the preferred mode for configurations using
    the Windows XP and

    Windows 2000 operating systems.

    ? NOTE

    Many Serial ATA drives use new low-voltage power connectors and require
    adaptors or power

    supplies equipped with low-voltage power connectors.

    For information about Refer to

    Serial ATA http://www.serialata.org

    1.7.3.3 Intel® RAID Technology

    Boards equipped with the ICH5-R support RAID (Redundant Array of Independent
    Drives) level 0

    on the Serial ATA ports. RAID 0 provides the ability to support striping.
    Two physical drives, of

    identical size, can be teamed together to create one logical drive. As data
    is written or retrieved

    from the logical drive, both drives operate in parallel, thus increasing the
    throughput.

    ? NOTE

    The ICH5-R provides support for RAID 0 and RAID boot in Windows XP only.

    1.7.3.4 RAID Boot Configuration Overview

    A RAID array can be created by using the existing Serial ATA Ports,
    correctly configuring the

    BIOS, and installing drivers. The following steps are required to
    successfully establish a RAID

    configuration.

    1. Enable RAID Support in BIOS.

    2. Create a RAID array using the Intel® Application Accelerator (IAA)
    utility.

    3. Install the IAA 3.0 RAID driver.

    4. Format the RAID array.

    5. Install the IAA 3.0 Companion Utility (this step is optional).

    For information about Refer to

    The location of the Serial ATA connectors Figure 22, page 68

    The signal names of the Serial ATA connectors Table 36, page 69

    The BIOS Setup program's Boot menu Table 73, page 118

    Serial ATA RAID configuration http://developer.intel.com/design/

    motherbd/rl/index.htm

    Hope this helps

    Bob

    Compfix, Sep 26, 2006
  6. Bad news, the board is a green one, no raid. Which leads
    to the next question - is there a SATA300 PCI 2.2 card
    out there that supports booting and does raid in hardware
    and has 2 ports and I can get drivers for it under XP?

    thanks,
    charles.....

    ***** charles, Sep 27, 2006
  7. Went through the steps, then found out the board doesn't support
    the raid stuff.

    thanks,
    charles.....

    ***** charles, Sep 27, 2006
  8. Loads.... just put - pci sata 300 raid card - into google.

    Brownz @ Work, Sep 27, 2006