Data corruption with SATA drives on an NF7-S?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Abit User, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Abit User

    Abit User Guest

    Hello folks. I built a new system with an NF7-S motherboard a few days ago,
    and have two drives in it...a Western Digital SATA drive on the first
    channel (which is my boot drive) powered by a legacy power connector, and a
    Maxtor ATA-133 drive on the second channel, using a Serilill adapter. I'm
    running a clean install of XP sp1 with all latest drivers, including the
    newest driver for the SATA controller.

    I'm fairly new to SATA technology, so bear with me if I'm missing some
    obvious things. I'm noticing that when I try to do two data transfer
    operations between them at once (in my case, copying documents between two
    directories while transferring some pictures from some others), the
    operation crashes and corrupts a lot of the data. It's fine as long as I
    only do one thing at a time, but it's data corruption and a lengthy session
    of Chkdsk if I try to do two. In games, I'm seeing a 'stutter' that could
    be attributed to drive access issues as well.

    I notice that XP detects the drives as SCSI drives, when they're really not.
    One option that comes to mind is on the 'SCSI Properties' sheet in device
    manager for the drives, there are checkboxes for 'disable tagged queuing'
    and 'disable synchronous transfers'. Would checking these off be advisable?
    Is this something that can be caused by using the standard power connector
    on the drive instead of the SATA power connector? Or is it perhaps just a
    bad drive (or bad controller on the motherboard)? The older Maxtor drive
    with the adapter seems to be a lot more stable than the new WD drive, but
    then again all the transfers have tended to be Maxtor --> WD, so the WD
    drive is being stressed more.

    As a side note, the 'stutter' problem in games is almost completely
    alleviated by removing my new FX 5600 video card and putting in my older
    Ti-4200 card. I don't know if this is due to less demand on the system or
    what, but thought I'd include this information as possibly relevent.

    Thanks for any assistance or advice!

    Lloyd

    Full system details:

    Athlon 2800+
    Abit NF7-S
    Antec True-430W Power supply
    2x 512MB Crucial DDR 3200 RAM
    MSI GeForce FX 5200-128VTDR (using an Abit Ti-4200 atm) <AGP slot>
    SB Audigy 2 Platinum <PCI 2>
    WD 120GB SATA <SATA port 1, boot drive>
    Maxtor 200GB ATA-133 (SATA 2 port with adapter)
    Plextor PX-708A DVD R/RW
    Lite-On DVD drive (generic)
    Adaptec AHA-2940 AU (for a scanner) <PCI 3>
    HSP56 Micromodem <PCI 4>
    Windows XP Pro SP1, DirectX 9.0b, all latest patches, all latest drivers

    Abit User, Oct 3, 2003

  2. The old NF7-S BIOSes caused corruption with two drives on the SATA
    controller. If you don't have the latest BIOS, update to it and do a new
    install. Mine works fine with no corruption as I updated immediately when I
    bought it.

    Michael George, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Abit User

    TomG Guest

    XP sees the controller as a SCSI device just because it is not a regular IDE
    controller and has raid capability (if I am not mistaken...). do you
    monitor temperatures during these dual transfer sessions? does the system
    actually crash out of XP or just the application that is doing the transfer?

    there is nothing inherent in SATA transfers that should cause this issue
    unless you have a problem with a cable or the Serillel adapter that is in
    use is defective and if it were, then *all* transfers, not just transfers
    under a heavy load, would be suspect.

    I would not be messing with the SCSI properties sheet but even if you did,
    I'm not sure it would have an impact. you can certainly test that theory.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 117,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Abit User

    TomG Guest

    good to know...

    TomG, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Abit User

    Abit User Guest

    The old NF7-S BIOSes caused corruption with two drives on the SATA
    I tried updating my BIOS, but is says it is already the most current when
    I'm using the utility from the Abit site. I don't see anything more recent
    than July, has there been an update released elsewhere?

    Lloyd

    Abit User, Oct 3, 2003

  6. Hi,

    I am using the NF7-S v2.0 with 2 x 120GB WD-Se SATA drives, set-up as RAID-0
    (16k stripe) and so far it has worked perfectly! I do not use the latest
    BIOS (mine is #14). Obviously your set-up is a little different from mine
    and I suspect that the Maxtor drive with the Serielle adapter is your
    problem. I can't back this information up right now, but as I have said
    previously there is a problem using a Maxtor IDE drive and the Serielle
    converter. Others have said this problem is fixed now, but I'm not so sure,
    something to do with a *Marvel* converter chip in the Serielle I think. . .

    Wayne Youngman, Oct 4, 2003
  7. Abit User

    --oZ-- Guest

    A few bios releases back (v14) they introduced a fix for data corruption
    when using raid-0 on sata.

    However they did add some infomation in the release notes which may be
    useful for your situation:
    "
    1.. Fixed SATA RAID-0 data corruption issue by adding a new option
    "EXT-P2P's Discard Time" in "integrated Peripherals". The default
    setting is "30 us" ; which is recommended by NVidia. In case the problem
    is still there, try "1 ms" please.
    "

    Full bios info is available at the abit site.

    --oZ--, Oct 5, 2003