    document in a Finder window, and select Open With. The problem is that
    doing so produces many, many duplicate entries for each of the relevant
    apps that appear in the drop-down listing.)

    AES, Jul 15, 2010

  2. I believe it's stored in MacOS X's launch database. If you're seeing
    lots of copies of Applications (this can happen if you bootable backup
    clones), you need to wipe and rebuild this database periodically.
    AFAIK, it has to be done manually or the interface/tool that does it
    can't be scripted.

    Onyx (free), Cocktail (10.4 version is free), or Tinkertool (free) can
    do this.

    Michael Vilain, Jul 15, 2010

  3. AES

    David Empson Guest

    It is a database managed by Launch Services. I don't know offhand where
    the file(s) are, and you probably can't edit them manually in any case.

    I think most of it is generated dynamically based on the contents of
    Applications folder(s). The only stuff that is stored in files is manual
    overrides such as if you have assigned all documents of a particular
    type to open in a particular application.
    Do you have multiple volumes online (e.g. clone backups) containing
    copies of the same applications? If so, Launch Services will happily
    offer you all compatible applications in any valid Applications folder
    on any mounted volume. (It will also look for an Applications folder in
    your home folder.)

    If you've also done something like set up a folder of aliases to your
    preferred applications, and put that in /Applications or ~/Applications,
    it could result in Launch Services listing the same applications twice.
    (Theory not tested as I don't have anything running 10.4 handy.)

    David Empson, Jul 15, 2010
  4. It is a database managed by Launch Services. I don't know offhand where
    the file(s) are, and you probably can't edit them manually in any case.[/QUOTE]

    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist

    And you can edit them with the Property List Editor.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 15, 2010
  5. ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist

    And you can edit them with the Property List Editor.[/QUOTE]

    How does one engage said editor? I can open the plist in Text Wrangler,
    and edit, but not with positive results.

    Also, found the following next to it:
    com.apple.LaunchServices.QuarantineEvents

    What gets quarantined, newly downloaded docs and apps? Is this what
    keeps the record of things you've said 'ok' to?

    John McWilliams, Jul 15, 2010
  6. How does one engage said editor? I can open the plist in Text Wrangler,
    and edit, but not with positive results.[/QUOTE]

    If double-clicking on it doesn't open it with Property List Editor, then
    right-click on it, choose "Open With" in the contextual menu, then choose
    Property List Editor from the sub menu.

    If Property List Editor isn't in the sub menu, then install X Code.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 15, 2010
  7. If double-clicking on it doesn't open it with Property List Editor, then
    right-click on it, choose "Open With" in the contextual menu, then choose
    Property List Editor from the sub menu.

    If Property List Editor isn't in the sub menu, then install X Code.[/QUOTE]

    Ah, that's it. X-code not installed on this computer.
    What edits would one want to make in this plist? Isn't it easier to
    option click on a document to select what it's opened with?

    John McWilliams, Jul 15, 2010
  8. Ah, that's it. X-code not installed on this computer.
    What edits would one want to make in this plist?[/QUOTE]

    I dunno.
    Well, if you want to make the change permanent, you would have to use the
    Info window instead of just using the contextual menu. (Control click, not
    option click.)

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 15, 2010
  9. Probably your best bet is to use lsregister. It's stored in different
    places in different versions of Mac OS X, but if you use Spotlight and
    include system files you'll find it.

    If you're using Snow Leopard, pasting this into Terminal will handle it:

    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/\
    Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/\
    Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r \
    -domain local -domain system -domain user

    Steve

    Steven Fisher, Jul 16, 2010