    was included with the system supports the highest transfer rate (100)? I
    tried Belarc and Sciandra with no luck. There must be some utility out there
    that read the spec off the drive?

    Spiderman, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Spiderman

    Guy Guest

    SiSandra should tell you what the drive is configured to use - UDMA 5 is the
    setting you need to confirm I believe? From what I have read, even if you
    have that set-up ATA drives tend not to reach the maximum transfer rate of
    the IDE interface.

    Guy

    Guy, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Spiderman

    Spiderman Guest

    Sandra doesn't give any info on the interface...just file system info like
    cluster size, sectors per clusters, etc.
    I understand that the maximum transfer rate is rarely achieved...just wanna
    verify that the drive at least supports it.

    Spiderman, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Have a look in the ATA/ATAPI Information section on Sandra (Sandra 2004); it
    shows the maximum UDMA mode your interface can handle, and shows the current
    active UDMA mode (they're the last items in that particular report).

    HTH,

    Pete.

    Peter Connolly, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Spiderman

    Spiderman Guest

    Ah...I'm using Sandra 2002.... that must be the problemo!

    Spiderman, Jan 25, 2004
  6. Spiderman

    Spiderman Guest

    Just checked it and the Maximum UDMA Mode is UDMA-5 (expected) but the
    Current Active Mode is UDMA-2 (not expected!). What's going on? How do I up
    the active mode to the max? I feel like I'm getting ripped off by my hard
    drive!

    Spiderman, Jan 25, 2004
  7. Spiderman

    Guy Guest

    Is that because the IDE interface on the motherboard is set to UDMA 2 or is
    the drive set to UDMA 2? If its the latter, depending on the drive model
    you can download utilities to change the mode. If its the former, that can
    be changed in the BIOS setup.

    Guy

    Guy, Jan 25, 2004
  8. Spiderman

    Colin Wilson Guest

    Just checked it and the Maximum UDMA Mode is UDMA-5 (expected) but the
    What type of cable have you got ? 40pin ? 80 pin? 80pin round ?

    Can you set the speed in the BIOS ?

    Colin Wilson, Jan 25, 2004
  9. Spiderman

    Spiderman Guest

    I have no clue why. I don't see an option to change it in the BIOS. You'd
    think they would set the drive up for maximum speed out of the factory no?

    Spiderman, Jan 26, 2004
  10. Spiderman

    Spiderman Guest

    Does the cable matter? Looks like a regular IDE cable with 2 drive
    connections.

    Spiderman, Jan 26, 2004
  11. Spiderman

    Colin Wilson Guest

    Does the cable matter? Looks like a regular IDE cable with 2 drive
    Actually, it does. If the cable is an "old" style 40 pin, you probably
    won`t be able to set the drive to one of the faster speeds.

    With 80 wire cables, every other wire is grounded if I understand
    correctly, which helps minimise cross-talk betweek the cores at higher
    frequencies, which in turn allows them to ramp up the bus speed and
    increase transfer rates with no loss of accuracy.

    A super-fast drive would be useless if the signal got trashed on the way,
    so only random crap was stored :-}

    Colin Wilson, Jan 26, 2004
  12. Spiderman

    Spiderman Guest

    Gotcha. But why would Dell bundle an old style cable with a system that's
    supposed to be designed for Ultra ATA 100? I hope Michael Dell is more on
    the ball than that :)

    Spiderman, Jan 26, 2004
  13. Spiderman

    WSZsr Guest

    They don't.

    WSZsr, Jan 26, 2004
  14. Spiderman

    Spiderman Guest

    In case you guys are curious, the reason the drive was running at UDMA-2
    speeds was that "Acoustic Management" was enabled in the BIOS. I simply
    changed the setting to "Performance" and now I'm back in the fast lane!

    Spiderman, Jan 28, 2004
  15. Spiderman

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Pray tell, what is "Acoustic Management"???

    Hank Arnold, Jan 28, 2004
  16. Spiderman

    Colin Wilson Guest

    Pray tell, what is "Acoustic Management"???

    Sounds to me like a way of forcing as much of the system as possible to
    run slowly to reduce overall noise levels.

    Just give me my earmuffs back :-}

    Colin Wilson, Jan 29, 2004
  17. Spiderman

    HH Guest

    Often called "Quiet Drive," it does just that, with a performance penalty.
    HH

    HH, Jan 29, 2004
  18. Spiderman

    Spiderman Guest

    Whoever came up with the idea should be shot!

    Spiderman, Jan 30, 2004
  19. Spiderman

    HH Guest

    If memory serves, it was either IBM or Quantum. I agree with you, but some
    folks are very sensitive to hard disk "click and clatter" and some drives
    were very noisy when accessing data..

    HH

    HH, Jan 30, 2004