    PhoneDialer? [Whoops, I'm assuming that Phone Dialer comes with XP?!]

    Can somebody give me a little advice on this?

    Arthur

    Arthur, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Arthur

    Arthur Guest

    Correction: I should have said "Voice Modem" instead of "Telephone
    Modem"...................Arthur

    Arthur, Apr 26, 2004

  3. Arthur

    Don Taylor Guest

    Some folks, myself included, have had some difficulties with the internal
    modems being provided. Several folks have made postings here, myself
    included, where falling back to a good quality external modem seemed to
    have solved the problem. Googling for a few good keywords in the groups
    archive can find these for you. As seems to often be the case, likely
    nobody can ever conclusively decide what the problem really was.

    Don Taylor, Apr 26, 2004
  4. Arthur

    HH Guest

    Uh, wrong asumption. No phone dialer in XP. The telephony software that
    comes with a voice modem might include it. Ask the Dell sales rep.
    HH

    HH, Apr 27, 2004
  5. Arthur

    Jim Driscoll Guest

    Be careful what you specify with Dell. I specifically asked for a hardware
    modem and got a cheesy winmodem which couldn't connect at my ISP's default
    speeds.

    Jim Driscoll, Apr 27, 2004
  6. Arthur

    devans Guest

    I opted for the extra $20 and now wish I hadn't. That modem is junk. I
    have spent the better part of a month working different init strings
    while disabling V.92, throttling down any aggressivness by limiting
    connect speeds but nothing has helped this modem. A same G6-450 I have
    on the next table connect 100% of the time at a 49444 kbps I had to
    limit there at that speed or it would connect at 51666 kbps (too
    aggressive). My old modem had great throughput and I could live w/ that
    dialed up connect but this new Dell"s modem never connects over 42666
    and then only one out of nine times, most of the time it connects at
    38666 on the very same line,plug-in socket, and connections. Now I need
    to consider another after market modem or spend more for cable
    connection of which I don't really need in my work (or want the security
    hassles).I have several brand new USR(ISA SLOT) modems that are rock
    solid modems. I haven't even looked if there is even a open ISA slot in
    a 8300 series. Have you looked yet?

    devans, Apr 27, 2004
  7. Arthur

    Ed Guest

    I got the telephony modem with my Dimension 4500 and the Voice Answering
    software never worked, so I returned it to Dell in the first 30 days, got my
    money back and bought a cheap datafax modem online for much less money and
    it works fine for faxing.

    Ed

    Ed, Apr 30, 2004
  8. Arthur

    Bruce Guest

    I just got an 8300 with the data/fax modem only, and it works fine so
    far I just sent a fax with it and no problem. But you could probably
    save a couple bucks by not getting any modem and buy one from Fry's or
    other such sources for pretty cheap ($10-15).

    Also, I too was dismayed to find that Dialer wasn't included with XP (I
    used Dialer with WinMe) ... but I then found it under "c:\Program
    Files\Windows NT\dialer.exe" ... yes, there is a "Windows NT"
    subdirectory on WinXP. This version of Dialer is a little different but
    entirely servicable.

    Bruce, May 1, 2004