Daughter spilled water on laptop (continued)

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by jjjon, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. jjjon

    jjjon Guest

    This is from an earlier thread. I posed it there also.

    I did a bootstrap approach taking out the hard drive, DVD and battery.
    I bought Scott Mueller's new book Upgrading and Repairing
    Laptops.(35.00 at Amazon) I mostly worked on Desktops so taking out
    the motherboard was a challenge for me. Your suggestions have also
    helped. I'm going to try pulling the chip. It does not have a ZIF
    socket to I will buy a claw type extractor. When I power on the
    laptop starts without me using the switch. I was thinking of
    replacing the PCA switchboard w/cable for $30.00.

    Thanks again for your support, I am still paying on this laptop so it
    is hard for me to give up and just trash it.

    John

    BTW: I learned alot from Mueller's book. The most I have done with
    laptop repair is replace keyboards. If anything comes out of this
    experience, I may be able to do more laptop repairs since I'm getting
    first hand experience from this problem.

    jjjon, Jan 11, 2004

  2. jjjon

    Papa Guest

    By the way, if you haven't done so already, get one of the pressurized air
    cans that are sold in computer stores and blast air throughout the inside
    and outside of your laptop, including any internal or external connectors
    and the keyboard. Good luck.

    Papa, Jan 11, 2004

  3. jjjon

    Whelan Guest

    Gee, I feel lucky!
    2 years ago, when my son's Presario 1800 was 5 months old and we were
    gathering things from his dorm desk, my husband tipped a bamboo planter
    over it and got water inside it.
    Compaq covered it under the warranty. They fixed and returned it within 4
    days (and during Christmas week).

    I'm really sorry your experience has been so different and difficult. But
    thanks for recommending the Scott Mueller book. Who knows when we all may
    need it!
    Nan

    Whelan, Jan 11, 2004
  4. jjjon

    Jeff S Guest

    Be thankful it wasn't a can of Poccari Sweat that got spilled ;-)

    As others have suggested, I think what you mostly need is patience for the computer to fully dry out. If this was simply tap water, what I'd have done would be to immediately unplug the AC adapter and remove the batteries, remove the keyboard and upper portion of the case, and let it dry for a week or so (resist the temptation to apply power to the circuit during this time!!). The keyboard and various switches will probably take longest to dry out. I'd pretty much leave various chips alone-those should have gas-tight contact with their socket, and a few day's exposure to clean water is probably not going to corrode things, and in fact, you are risking real damage by yanking chips out.

    On 11 Jan 2004 08:47:51 -0800

    Jeff S, Jan 12, 2004
  5. jjjon

    Jarl Sigurd Guest

    Jarl Sigurd, Jan 12, 2004
  6. jjjon

    Papa Guest

    Papa, Jan 12, 2004
  7. I think opening up your laptop to let it dry better is good, if you
    can get it back together again. My approach would be to find or make
    a toasty warm place, 110 F max as signalled by a good thermometer
    there, open the laptop, pull out its battery and anything else
    removable, set it up on something so the air can reach it all around,
    and leave it there for maybe a week.

    If the laptop had got sweetened drink spilled on it or your tomcat
    marked it, I'd open it up, souse it in plain warm water (2 or 3
    changes) and go to the above.

    All of which amounts to, the wise laptop user is alert to the
    possibilities inherent in a world full of accidents looking for a
    chance to happen.

    And of course, maybe there's a good mfr's service shop handy.

    Cheers -- Martha Adams

    Martha H Adams, Jan 13, 2004
  8. jjjon

    Papa Guest

    You are kidding, I hope! A damp cloth, perhaps, but not a soaking.

    ..

    Papa, Jan 13, 2004
  9. Is even a damp cloth a good idea? I would have thought some sort of solvent
    would be much safer.

    Duncan.

    Duncan James Murray, Jan 16, 2004