Daylight savings fix

Discussion in 'Dell' started by paulmd, Mar 15, 2007.

  1. paulmd

    paulmd Guest

    The DST thing has been asked in virtually every computer newsgroup,
    I'd thought i'd give a general reply. And hopefully cut down on the
    volume of DST questions.

    For XP: Microsoft has an update available through Windows Updates

    For Win2k: Microsoft has an application called TZedit, that is
    supposed to work, but there are a huge number of complaints. I would
    therefor consider this fix unreliable.

    For Older MS OSes: Microsoft publishes no solution, which sucks.

    The GOOD news it that there is an unofficial and straightforward fix,
    for everything newer than win95.

    For NT based OSes (nt4, win2k, XP, server 2003)
    http://www.intelliadmin.com/DaylightSavingNotice.asp?File=DaylightSavingFix.exe

    for Win98 and ME

    http://www.intelliadmin.com/DaylightSavingNotice.asp?File=DaylightSavingFix98.exe

    I can personally attest that the IntelAdmin fix works fine on 3
    different machines that i've tested it on, and that it's not a virus
    or malware. Also, it's only about 800K.

    In case there are any stray Mac users in this PC group:
    Apple has an OS X patch (6+ MB!!, to change a few time zones around)

    Not sure about OS9 and older.

    I'm sure that the various flavors of linux have this fixed (or the
    programmers should be slapped).

    paulmd, Mar 15, 2007

  2. paulmd

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Two nice programs, one free and the other not too expensive
    will fix time problems...
    Free from AnalogX www.analogx.com
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/ats.htm
    Atomic Time Sync

    low cost ATOM TIME http://www.atomtime.com/

    Jim Macklin, Mar 15, 2007

  3. paulmd

    RnR Guest

    I'm NOT trying to be cute so forgive me if I sound like it but isn't
    it a bit late to worry about this?

    Anyway, thanks for the information.

    RnR, Mar 15, 2007
  4. paulmd

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, Mar 15, 2007
  5. paulmd

    S.Lewis Guest

    ^^^^ Translation: "Japan bombs Pearl Harbor." or if you prefer, "Salk
    discovers Polio vaccine". ^^^

    I actually am trying to be cute. It's not working.

    S.Lewis, Mar 15, 2007
  6. paulmd

    Jim Macklin Guest

    I use the Pro version now on our two computers, cost was
    less than a good pizza, for a license on both computers. I
    also have AnalogX's free program and it works fine.

    in message

    Jim Macklin, Mar 15, 2007
  7. paulmd

    paulmd Guest

    It seems like all the questions/issues started AFTER the DST change.
    And the calender changes back on a different date than before, so
    we'll see the reverse issue come Nov 4.

    paulmd, Mar 15, 2007
  8. paulmd

    Jay B Guest

    its not too late!
    all systems should be patched with this so they dont have to manually
    change it 4 times a year!
    of course those on automatic updates dont have to worry about it.

    Jay B, Mar 15, 2007
  9. paulmd

    Tom Scales Guest

    OK, I'll bite. Four times a year? In my neck of the woods, we only do it
    twice.

    Tom Scales, Mar 15, 2007
  10. paulmd

    alien Guest

    Maybe every time he changes his clocks he does it wrong the first time and
    has to go back the next day and change them again?

    alien

    alien, Mar 15, 2007
  11. paulmd

    Ben Myers Guest

    I've counted up to four on my fingers and toes, too. First is a manual change
    in March. Next is to set the clock back after Windows automatically springs
    forward one hour. Next, Windows falls back one hour, but too early, so you
    have to change it manually again. Finally, a manual fall back by one hour on
    the new later November date... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 15, 2007
  12. paulmd

    Tom Scales Guest

    Hmm. All mine (all two) seem to be working fine, even with the new date.
    Guess it is magic.

    Tom Scales, Mar 15, 2007
  13. paulmd

    Jim Macklin Guest

    The most accurate watch/clock doesn't run, it is exactly
    correct twice a day.

    | Hmm. All mine (all two) seem to be working fine, even
    with the new date.
    | Guess it is magic.
    message
    | | > I've counted up to four on my fingers and toes, too.
    First is a manual
    | > change
    | > in March. Next is to set the clock back after Windows
    automatically
    | > springs
    | > forward one hour. Next, Windows falls back one hour,
    but too early, so
    | > you
    | > have to change it manually again. Finally, a manual
    fall back by one
    | > hour on
    | > the new later November date... Ben Myers
    | >
    | > On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:29:12 -0400, "Tom Scales"
    <>

    Jim Macklin, Mar 15, 2007
  14. paulmd

    Ben Myers Guest

    Well, an XP system up to date with patches should work OK. The older systems
    running Win 2000, NT, ME, 98, and 95 are the ones for which Micro$oft did not
    issue a patch, but there is an unofficial 3rd party patch that works OK. I
    tested it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 16, 2007
  15. paulmd

    paulmd Guest

    On an unpatched system, set to automatically adjust for DST, One would
    need to change the time on the second Sunday in March, second Sunday
    in April, Last Sunday in October, and the second Sunday in November.

    Every Year.

    paulmd, Mar 16, 2007
  16. paulmd

    Tom Lake Guest

    The change to March 11 probably isn't permanent, either.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Mar 16, 2007
  17. paulmd

    Jay B Guest

    tom i'm surprised at you for missing this obvious one.
    you must be working way too hard moving all those boxes and tv screens.

    Jay B, Mar 16, 2007
  18. paulmd

    paulmd Guest

    Indeed. The schedule is march 9th, 8th and 14th, for 2008, 2009 and
    2010, respectively. However, all are the second Sunday in March.

    http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

    paulmd, Mar 16, 2007
  19. S.Lewis wrote:

    I did too, circa 2001.

    The real deal is available gratis. In general, software developed with
    govt $$$ is free, so you can download a time server/PC clock adjuster from:

    http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm

    and the PDF for the software from

    http://tf.nist.gov/service/pdf/win2000xp.pdf

    Sparky Spartacus, Mar 16, 2007
  20. I think I'd be inclined to tell Windows nix on the DST adjustments. Back
    to 2.

    Sparky Spartacus, Mar 16, 2007