    by the BIOS as: 1 Gb of PC2 - 4300, which to my knowledge is the slower,
    533MHz memory. I expected PC2-5400 (667MHz) memory. What am I missing?

    Thanks for your comments!

    NS, Jun 12, 2005

  2. NS

    Paul Guest

    The contents of the SPD EEPROM on the DIMM, a tiny chip that records
    timing information, are controlled by JEDEC standards. For non-standard
    frequencies, expect to find the next lowest standard frequency and
    timing recorded in the EEPROM. That means, for overclocker memory,
    you will not always find the actual ratings of the memory stored in
    there.

    The problem is, if the manufacturer put the real ratings in there,
    there are some motherboard BIOS that would become confused. Rather
    than run the risk that the computer cannot POST, the standard
    frequency is used instead. You can then enter the BIOS and set
    the timings manually as desired.

    The memory will have been tested at the factory, at the stated 667MHz
    speed, and likely will overclock a lot higher than that. There
    are a few articles on Anandtech, about how high some of these
    products can be pushed. Use memtest86+ and Prime95, to test that
    all is well.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 12, 2005

  3. NS

    NS Guest

    Paul,

    I'll try your suggestions to verify that all is well.

    Thanks for the education!

    NS, Jun 12, 2005