DDS-3 DAT drive, orange light, and SCSI errors

Discussion in 'HP' started by Jules, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Jules

    Jules Guest

    Hi,

    I got hold of a C1554A DAT drive the other day which was in an unknown
    condition.

    It seemed happy on the SCSI bus at first, so I downloaded the L&TT utility
    for windows (version 3.4) and ran a full diagnostic check on it.
    Everything seemed to check out fine. The firmware had never been updated
    though, so I decided to patch that to version L111. The L&TT utils
    reported the patch as successful.

    Rebooted into Linux. The drive still seemed fine, and I installed L&TT for
    Linux and ran a full diag there just to be sure. No problems.

    Then I found that tar wouldn't read or write to the drive (via the st
    library), even though L&TT could talk to it fine (apparently going through
    the Linux sg low-level interface)

    I ran out of time at that point and figured I'd come back to things the
    next day. Powered up the PC the following morning, got a green light on
    the drive for a few seconds, then this went out and the light next to it
    came on as a steady orange. Uh oh. Detection of the drive by the BIOS
    took a couple of minutes rather than being instant, so it was still
    sort-of responding to SCSI commands, but seemed to be very sick indeed.

    A subsequent power-off and reboot gave no green light at all, just a
    steady orange.

    Windows L&TT reports the condition as a drive fault or bad firmware update
    and refuses to do much. Linux L&TT fairs a little better and seems to be
    able to talk to the drive, but it still fails to recognise the presence of
    a tape or read the drive's serial number. A firmware update under both
    OS's runs, but says that although the update completed the drive is
    reporting a 'check condition' status. Indeed, the 'review' command in
    Linux gives:

    - Firmware update started on device 0.2.0[0-/dev/sg1]
    (L111:0x00040001/0x00000009 -> L111:0x00040001/0x00000000)
    - starting update...
    - waiting (0 secs - max is 600)
    - I/O Exception (Sense Key: 4, Sense Code: 0x4002)
    - refreshing information...
    - update completed
    - Firmware update completed successful

    Any ideas what happened? Is it actually a firmware problem and was the
    original upgrade what caused it (despite it saying the upgrade was
    successful)? Or did the SCSI interface on the drive just happen to die and
    this coincidentally happened after the firmware upgrade and subsequent
    power-off?

    The drive only cost me a beer so if it's dead I'm not going to lose any
    sleep over it - just curious as to why it seemed to be functional
    initially before it failed; that seems like a bit of a coincidence.

    cheers

    Jules

    (beware the spam-trap in my email addy)

    Jules, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Jules

    Ken Marsh Guest

    Hi,

    Only things I can think of... usual SCSI stuff, try another SCSI Id,
    check DIPS (if any) for SCSI I/II and auto-termination, check
    termination, try ordering the SCSI devices in a different physical
    order.

    I'm thinking... with the new firmware, it might be auto-terminating now
    when you don't want it to, wasn't before, so putting it last on the
    ol' SCSI chain might help. (Or not)

    Ken.

    Ken Marsh, Dec 4, 2003