Dead Battery = Dead Notebook ???

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Brian Oster, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Brian Oster

    Brian Oster Guest

    Ok here is a weird question. Several weeks ago my 4 or 5 year old
    Dell Inspiron 5000e laptop started having the following problems:

    1. If left to sit for several hours or after it was on for an
    extended period of time it would hard power OFF (this wasn't because
    of any power settings that I could find).

    2. The screen would be black after boot up. I could hook it up to an
    external monitor, but the LCD screen was black except for you could
    just make out what was on the screen, but just barely. Sometimes the
    screen would work, other times it wouldn't, other times it would pop
    up and start working after it had been on for 20 or 30 minutes.

    2a. The green light on the lcd case (lower left hand corner) to
    indicate the power was on would sometimes be lit and other times it
    wouldn't. This did NOT coincide with when the monitor was blank.

    4. Finally one evening it would not boot up at all. It would start
    to boot up but would just die like I had turned OFF the power.

    Now, the apparent solution: My battery had been useless for months
    (about 2 - 3 min worth of power max) but I had kept it in the laptop.
    Basically I could only use the laptop using the AC adapter. Well I
    removed the battery and everything seems to be working fine.

    Finally my question. Could this really have been the problem... a
    dead battery? Could a bad battery cause all these problems even when
    on AC power?

    Brian Oster, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Yes, it's possible. Not saying that the battery was the cause, but it's
    definitely possible (a shorted battery can cause all kinds of problems).

    Barry Watzman, Mar 10, 2005