    is not recognizing the new battery?

    Thanks,

    Faraz

    Duke of Hazard, Jul 15, 2003

  2. >I went on a two-week vacation and returned to find my PC no longer
    >boots up. A google search said it is probably a dead CMOS battery
    >which makes sense since the computer is 3 years old, and recently had
    >the wrong time. So I replaced the battery but it did not fix it. It
    >just powers on, but nothing comes on the monitor. Any ideas? Maybe it
    >is not recognizing the new battery?

    Can you give more info on your system, You wouldn't get very far if you
    rang a garage and said 'my car won't start' !! Have you checked the BIOS
    settings, older systems had to be given drive information manualy, or you
    could try setting safe or optimum settings. Have you set date & time?

    Mike.

    ---

    Michael Hawes, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Duke of Hazard

    Chris Hill Guest

    On 15 Jul 2003 06:41:29 -0700, (Duke of
    Hazard) wrote:

    >I went on a two-week vacation and returned to find my PC no longer
    >boots up. A google search said it is probably a dead CMOS battery
    >which makes sense since the computer is 3 years old, and recently had
    >the wrong time. So I replaced the battery but it did not fix it. It
    >just powers on, but nothing comes on the monitor. Any ideas? Maybe it
    >is not recognizing the new battery?

    Power supply most likely. A dead cmos gbattery generally gives a
    invalid settings/settings lost message, blank screen is something
    else.

    Chris Hill, Jul 16, 2003
  4. The computer was working fine until I unplugged it for two weeks. Then
    when I tried to boot it up, I got no monitor response, but there was
    power going to it. So something tells me the obvious culprit is
    unplugging it for two weeks, no? What would that cause to break down?
    I thought it was the CMOS battery, but replacing that did not fix it.

    The machine is an emachine 533ir with Win98.

    Duke of Hazard, Jul 16, 2003
  5. Duke of Hazard

    CJT Guest

    Duke of Hazard wrote:

    > The computer was working fine until I unplugged it for two weeks. Then
    > when I tried to boot it up, I got no monitor response, but there was
    > power going to it. So something tells me the obvious culprit is
    > unplugging it for two weeks, no? What would that cause to break down?
    > I thought it was the CMOS battery, but replacing that did not fix it.
    >
    > The machine is an emachine 533ir with Win98.

    Perhaps when you unplugged it, you also jostled the monitor cable.

    Check that all cables to the back of the machine are tight.

    CJT, Jul 16, 2003
  6. Duke of Hazard

    Chris Hill Guest

    On 16 Jul 2003 06:19:44 -0700, (Duke of
    Hazard) wrote:

    >The computer was working fine until I unplugged it for two weeks. Then
    >when I tried to boot it up, I got no monitor response, but there was
    >power going to it. So something tells me the obvious culprit is
    >unplugging it for two weeks, no? What would that cause to break down?
    >I thought it was the CMOS battery, but replacing that did not fix it.
    >
    >The machine is an emachine 533ir with Win98.

    Coincidences do happen. If everything is plugged in good, your ps
    died most likely.

    Chris Hill, Jul 17, 2003
  7. Duke of Hazard

    Jack H Guest

    Definitely need more info.
    I do not know what a 533ir machine is. Can you find out if it has an ATX
    motherboard? (this could help deciding if it's the power supply[PSU] or not)
    Does the PSU fan turn?
    Do any of the drive lights come on ?
    Can you hear if the hard drive is spinning?
    Are there any *beeps* coming from the PC speaker (the internal one that is -
    not any that you might have attached to the sound output at the rear of the
    machine) ? If so and if you know what BIOS you have (e.g. Award, Ami etc. -
    try your manual) you may get a clue as to the problem by *decoding* these
    beeps e.g. * 3 long beeps* means something. If you can get access to that
    BIOS supplier's website download a document referring to the *POST codes*.
    This will show what each sequence of beeps means.

    Hope this helps

    Zak

    Jack H, Jul 17, 2003
  8. I have just given it to the computer repair store. I don't think its
    the PSU since the drive lights come on and some fan is spinning inside
    it. The CD players seems to work fine. No beeps come from the speakers
    though.

    It must have something to do with being left unplugged for 2 weeks,
    no? Ill post a followup when I hear back from the repair store.

    Thanks,

    Faraz

    Duke of Hazard, Jul 19, 2003
  9. Duke of Hazard

    Chris Hill Guest

    On 19 Jul 2003 10:56:40 -0700, (Duke of
    Hazard) wrote:

    >I have just given it to the computer repair store. I don't think its
    >the PSU since the drive lights come on and some fan is spinning inside
    >it. The CD players seems to work fine. No beeps come from the speakers
    >though.

    I think it is the psu; I've replaced several with the exact same
    symtoms. I think you're trying to blame something that could be a
    coincidence. I hope the store doesn't hit your wallet too hard.

    Chris Hill, Jul 20, 2003
  10. Duke of Hazard

    thethiny

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Well you said monitor not working? Happened to me when my LAptops battery run dead, monitor doesnt work, keep turning on/off until it shows on!

    thethiny, Sep 18, 2011
  11. Duke of Hazard

    Laptoptech21

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Try after you press power, let it boot for 10 mins to let it configure settings

    Laptoptech21, Dec 5, 2014