Dead Dimension 2300 mainboard

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B. Walker, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. B. Walker

    B. Walker Guest

    Hello all,

    A customer brought in a Dell Dimension 2300 that was hit by lightening last
    week during a bad storm. After testing and verifying that all the other
    components work as they should, I was able to narrow down the problem of no
    booting to the mainboard. I swapped two processors and two powersupplies
    out all of which didn't solve the problem, but yet did work on other
    systems. This left the only possible cause of the problem being a dead
    mainboard.

    My question is since this system is no longer under Dell warranty, where
    would I go to get a replacement mainboard? The service tag/support site
    doesn't list a part number or even a description for the mainboard in the
    orginial system configuration area, rather the closest thing is the CPU
    description. The customer doesn't mind waiting and doesn't ming paying for
    the replacement mainboard. I searched the motherboard to find the following
    number but I'm not sure what part of that is the actual 'part number' for
    the mainboard. Dell's site wasn't none too helpful either. What part of
    this number IS the actual part number? I assume I would have to call the
    Dell part number?

    CN-03T237-70821-28R-A095 Rev. A00

    Brad

    B. Walker, Aug 4, 2005

  2. B. Walker

    B. Walker Guest

    Also a side question. What if any other boards were compatible with the
    Dimension 2300? Like boards from another model Dimension that had higher
    FSB or such?

    B. Walker, Aug 4, 2005

  3. B. Walker

    Ben Myers Guest

    Because the Dimension 2300 has proprietary wiring from motherboard to front
    panel and from rear fan to motherboard, you really need another Dell
    motherboard. Dimension 2300, 2400, and certain 4000-series boards will all fit.
    Your safest choice for a faster FSB is the 2400... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 4, 2005
  4. B. Walker

    S.Lewis Guest

    3T237 is the Dell part number.

    You can call Dell Spare Parts: 1-800-357-3355 or they are pretty widely
    available on ebay:

    A board from a 2350 will also work...

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 4, 2005
  5. B. Walker

    B. Walker Guest

    Thanks for the great information. I checked the product numbers for the
    2400 and the motherboard part numbers there are 7G535, G1548, & F5949.
    Visually inspecting them, they look nearly identical to the 2300 mobo.
    Except these have onboard LAN, better video, etc. I'm waiting to call Dell
    Spare parts tomorrow during the hours, but I'm just creating a note list
    ahead of time what would work and what wouldn't work. The person basically
    just needs the system back working, without much care as to whats under the
    hood.

    B. Walker, Aug 4, 2005