Dead HDD board - schematics?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Traveler, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. The Traveler

    The Traveler Guest

    My IBM Deskstar 80GB drive died last week. It just shutdown with no
    advance notice. Although I replaced it with a WD 120GB drive, there
    are a few items that I would like to be able to get my hands on from
    the old drive (if I can).

    Essentially, the drive died... no spin-up even though power is present
    on the board's pins.

    Being an electronics engineer, my question is as follows:

    I suspect that a pico-fuse blew and that I might be able to bring this
    drive back to life. However, it would be simpler if someone had access
    to a schematic diagram, or if I could be pointed to the proper area of
    the board.
    The drive is: IBM Deskstar 82.3GB 7200RPM,IDE, model #
    IC35L080AVVA07-0

    Now, if I "kill" this drive, then so be it! But I do not want to
    simply abandon it.

    My Sony VAIO PCG-C1X died and Sony was asking the price of a new
    board. I snooped around and found a cold solder joint. The result was
    a resurrected laptop. I am hoping to be able to at least get the drive
    to spin-up so that I could get my hands on the few files that were not
    backed-up (most was).

    The Traveler
    Oceanside, California

    The Traveler, Oct 28, 2004

  2. The Traveler

    Dee Guest

    I think the only place you can find the schematics is either IBM or
    Hitachi. Probably Hitachi since they bought IBM's hard drive business.
    I have tried finding schematics for mother boards and hard drives
    before, but was never successful.

    Dee, Oct 28, 2004

  3. The Traveler

    JohnnyD Guest

    Hi Traveler,

    I have the same drive as yours, mine died over a period, span up
    down, but while up, was OK, so I think the contents are OK. Now, spin
    up, but head ticks constantly. Looks like board has gone. Have yo
    managed to find a good board? If so can you point me in the sa
    direction?

    Cheers,

    Johnny

    JohnnyD, Sep 24, 2005